Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 slow to shutdown and startup  (Read 4524 times)

techsavvy01

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Windows 7 slow to shutdown and startup
    « on: October 16, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »
    My computer has regressed over time in performance. Maybe it's because I have installed a lot of programs I'm not sure but the os is slow to shut down. I get message Waiting for background programs to close and it was explorer.exe. As matter fact explorer.exe is really causing issues in os. Crashing frequently, hogging resources, its frustrating! What is wrong with the os? I know Windows 7 is not perfect os but is this normal?
    Life is Weird. Home Life Private Life Consent and Respect always. Life is short. Spend time with Loved Ones Family & Good Friends, Life is not fair. Follow your Passion in your Life :) Woman are Human Beings :) Prince EA school system Common core Good Chemistry Charisma Everybody has different perspectives in life. love peace & compassion in the world No bullying no hatred. I want to help people :) LGBT Hope is crucial Live Long Life End stigma. Nobody is Perfect. No Judgement

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    Re: Windows 7 slow to shutdown and startup
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 11:08:07 AM »
    Here is a short answer to your question. Windows 7 is quite reliable and very effective and most users do not have the kind of problems you are experiencing.
    Rather than suspect your operating system, why not consider a possible hardware problem. Memory errors are not always flagged by Windows. Also, some types of hardware errors are not easy to diagnose. One of the tools you should have in your resource Kit is some kind of bootable USB or CD that will test the memory. There is a version of Mame test 86 that will do that.
    The other problem that most often slowed the computer down is some difficulty with the disk drive. Again, way to check this quiz with some kind of diagnostic tool that focuses on the integrity of the disk drive. If you have a Seagate drive you can go to the Seagate website and find a tool for testing Seagate drives. Same goes for Western Digital, they also have a testing tool for their hard drives.
    You did not specify what kind of computer you have so it's difficult to guess what sort of problems are frequent with that brand or make of computer unless we know what the make and model is.

techsavvy01

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 11:11:47 AM »
      Regressed is not right word sorry. Actually windows 7 performs reasonably well it's just when it starts up or shutdowns it takes more time now then ever before. I guess it's normal when I first installed the os it started up and shutdown in no time.
      Life is Weird. Home Life Private Life Consent and Respect always. Life is short. Spend time with Loved Ones Family & Good Friends, Life is not fair. Follow your Passion in your Life :) Woman are Human Beings :) Prince EA school system Common core Good Chemistry Charisma Everybody has different perspectives in life. love peace & compassion in the world No bullying no hatred. I want to help people :) LGBT Hope is crucial Live Long Life End stigma. Nobody is Perfect. No Judgement

techsavvy01

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 11:47:53 AM »
        This just happened. Perhaps this is a hardware problem :(

techsavvy01

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 02:11:02 AM »
          Good News everyone. I found out the culprit that was slowing down the os. It was this strange file called sqlwriter.exe. It was located in roaming app data folder and I deleted it. Since I deleted the file the os is noticeably faster. It did not appear to be a virus, it was some file from Microsoft that somehow got on my computer perhaps through windows update I guess. Glad I solved issue :)