Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice for build  (Read 2344 times)

Leoluke87

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Advice for build
    « on: October 19, 2016, 07:32:53 PM »
    Hello does anyone know if there will be any problems for this build it is for gaming i am using some parts from another pc i had for gaming but mother board broke so i am replacing that and cpu.
    Precision T5400 Case
    MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Dell PN: GM869 Power Supply
    SATA 5.25" DVD-RW Drive
    8x 4GB PC2-5300F DDR2 Memory
    2TB 3.5" SATA Hard Drive
    AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GTX980 DDR5 4GB Video Card
    any suggestions or infomation will be greatly impreciated

Leoluke87

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Advice for build
      « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:37:21 PM »
      bumb(wanna be top)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:43:38 PM »
      Well, I will give it a try. First of all I have taken apart and rebuilt minicomputers, but I have not done too well trained order parts and build something completely from scratch. There are just too many things that go wrong.
      Here's the best advice I think I could give. Use a set of components that somebody else has already tried and proven to work. When you do high-performance high in stuff that gets to be an issue with compatibility. One of the problems is the power supply, you really have to be sure the power supply is appropriate for the equipment you have chosen.
      Also, do you have some spare parts on hand for testing? Do the have the appropriate kind of tools? It's important to have very good quality hand tools for putting together the new machine. You make a slip with a screwdriver and you could scratch something very bad. If it was part of the motherboard, you're in deep trouble. So make sure the tools you have are the right kind for the job.
      Also, if you run into something you don't understand, ask first before you turn on the power. Although commercial mass-produced computers have lots of safeguards built-in, that may not be true with a custom do-it-yourself computer. You hook up the wrong wire to the wrong place or if you forget something you could have bad results.
      Yes, I know this sounds rather pessimistic. But I'm trying to help. You need to be prepared for something you didn't expect. Be very careful when handling the motherboard.
      Hope you do  a good job. :)

Leoluke87

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:08:54 AM »
        Well, I will give it a try. First of all I have taken apart and rebuilt minicomputers, but I have not done too well trained order parts and build something completely from scratch. There are just too many things that go wrong.
        Here's the best advice I think I could give. Use a set of components that somebody else has already tried and proven to work. When you do high-performance high in stuff that gets to be an issue with compatibility. One of the problems is the power supply, you really have to be sure the power supply is appropriate for the equipment you have chosen.
        Also, do you have some spare parts on hand for testing? Do the have the appropriate kind of tools? It's important to have very good quality hand tools for putting together the new machine. You make a slip with a screwdriver and you could scratch something very bad. If it was part of the motherboard, you're in deep trouble. So make sure the tools you have are the right kind for the job.
        Also, if you run into something you don't understand, ask first before you turn on the power. Although commercial mass-produced computers have lots of safeguards built-in, that may not be true with a custom do-it-yourself computer. You hook up the wrong wire to the wrong place or if you forget something you could have bad results.
        Yes, I know this sounds rather pessimistic. But I'm trying to help. You need to be prepared for something you didn't expect. Be very careful when handling the motherboard.
        Hope you do  a good job. :)
        i would but i am using parts from a old gaming computer that just broke with a new cpu and motherboard

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 05:28:45 AM »
        Unfortunately the RAM, case and PSU From the old PC won't work.  A new motherboard like that requires DDR3 RAM (or DDR4 on some of the new Intel boards) whereas your RAM is older DDR2 RAM.  The case also won't work without modification, at the very least you would have to cut out the I/O shield at the back as it is not removable and you'd need to be careful with checking where the screw mounting posts are to see if you can fit a board - Given the cost of cases it's probably best just to get a new one.  The power supply is a solid unit but it doesn't have the standard 4 or 8 pin EPS connector that a regular motherboard takes, it instead has a much larger 20 pin EPS connector due to the previous motherboard being dual CPU.  This is again something you could modify yourself although it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

Leoluke87

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »
          Unfortunately the RAM, case and PSU From the old PC won't work.  A new motherboard like that requires DDR3 RAM (or DDR4 on some of the new Intel boards) whereas your RAM is older DDR2 RAM.  The case also won't work without modification, at the very least you would have to cut out the I/O shield at the back as it is not removable and you'd need to be careful with checking where the screw mounting posts are to see if you can fit a board - Given the cost of cases it's probably best just to get a new one.  The power supply is a solid unit but it doesn't have the standard 4 or 8 pin EPS connector that a regular motherboard takes, it instead has a much larger 20 pin EPS connector due to the previous motherboard being dual CPU.  This is again something you could modify yourself although it's probably more hassle than it's worth.
          thanks the cost keeps going higher

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 07:07:52 AM »
          No need to keep quoting replies when you Post...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "