Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pulled Hard drives, want to store and sort photos  (Read 2568 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Pulled Hard drives, want to store and sort photos
    « on: November 07, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »
    Unfortunately we've been storing family photos on different computers and I've been pulling the HD's as they die. My wife is having knee surgery soon and thought it would be a good time to get them consolidated and organized. The problem is she doesn't have a decent computer at the time. I have the special cable that allows the drives to be connected to a computer. The question I have is I don't really want to rush out and buy a new computer at this time. What would be my options? Could I transfer all the photos to an external hard drive. If she connected this to my daughters Mac laptop, could she use some sort of program to sort them there, without keeping them on the Mac?  Are there any programs out there that will store and allow sorting, like Amazon, or others? How would I get the photos to them, from the HD's through a working computer to the program? Let me know. Thanks. (I wasn't sure what topic to put this under, I thought since it dealt with hard drives, I'd put it here. Moderator, feel free to move it, if not appropriate.)  Also wondering, what do families do with all their photos, they accumulate over the years, their computers must go down? Need to save the pics somehow.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Pulled Hard drives, want to store and sort photos
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 06:59:31 PM »
    Short answer. Good and reliable external hard drives and sold by all major vendors.
    In North America:
    Amazon
    Best Buy
    CostCo
    Newegg
    Staples
    Walmart
    .. and others. Try a local dealer first.

Also, if a PC is not working,there is a kit you can buy that lets a  desktop read from an extracted hard drive.  Even Walmart has some.
    Search for "
    External IDE SATA Converter Cable HDD Kit with AC Power Adapter
    Picture:

Here is an article for you in case one of your devise is an iPhone.
    https://tunesgo.wondershare.com/iphone-transfer/iphone-photos-to-external-hard-drive.html

You might ask a friend or family member to help.  :)