Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP freezes about one minute after reboot  (Read 2699 times)

rharshaw1

XP freezes about one minute after reboot
« on: December 01, 2005, 06:27:10 PM »
XP pro freezes in one to three minutes after I reboot with no applications running.
Num Lock light will go off and on with toggle.  Hard drive light is active for a couple of minutes but then goes to a steady blink-the cursor will not activate anything and eventually I get an hourglass that never goes away until I reboot.
Does not freeze in Safe Mode
I have defragged and run memtest--OK
Was able to nurse it through Norton update and a current scan--found no viruses.
Once I got the virus scan going it did a complete scan-5-10 minutes and did not freeze??

BOXX computer with  Dual XEON 3.06 with 4 GB ram (ram from BOXX) Nvidia Quadro FX 1000 128MB graphics card with 2 73GB 10000 rpm scsi drives XP Pro.

The unit is under warranty, and the manufacturer is sending me 2 new drives (one with new OS installed).  However, I somehow do not believe the drives are the problem and I may lose all of my programs and data for nothing.
Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Roger

R0SS

Re: XP freezes about one minute after reboot
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 10:34:18 AM »
I would think it would of been a virus.

Your computer should be very fast with those specs.

Try another virus scan like the trend micro house call.
Norton is no good it never finds anything that's why i got rid of it a year ago.

R0SS