Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Battery Not Charging  (Read 2625 times)

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • My pal Sharky
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Laptop Battery Not Charging
    « on: November 23, 2016, 08:38:41 AM »
    My second (portable) computer is an HP 4540s, 3-4 years old.

Just turned it on, after 60 days non-use, with wall charger (WC) just plugged in, and it boots up normally. However, when placing the cursor on the small battery symbol in the lower right corner I get the message - 10% available (plugged in, not charging). Without the WC plugged in, it makes no effort to START. Running with the WC plugged in, if I unplug it the unit goes dead.

Is this likely the simple matter of needs a new battery, or could there be some software function I need to access and adjust?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop Battery Not Charging
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 09:06:37 AM »
    If you leave it plugged in and computer off, does this battery take a charge at all? If answer is no, then its likely that the battery is dead and you need a new one. If the battery charges when the laptop is off only, then it could be a weak power supply or battery is drawing heavy on the power supply to where the charging is turned off as for keeping the computer running is more critical vs charging.

One friend of mine has a 2 year old Core i3 HP Laptop and it gave her this message about a month ago. If she leave the laptop plugged in to charge and powered off, the battery will charge to 100% after charging for about 4 or 5 hours. She is then able to use laptop off of battery and battery life is what it was before the non-charge while computer in use started happening. She is happy using her laptop like this vs spending money on a new battery or power supply for it. I even thought something was up with the software for the power management and reinstalled it fresh and it made no difference. You might be in the same situation where it will only charge battery with the laptop off and powered off wall to charge battery.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 09:36:43 AM »
    I'd follow Dave's lead as well...if it hasn't been used for awhile best thing to do is remove battery and A/C power...press power button 5/6 times ...replace battery...plug in to A/C and let it sit overnight.
    You may not need a new battery.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • My pal Sharky
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
      It was the battery. I've bought and installed a new unit, and everything is "charging" and working again properly.

Thanks for both of your help.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 09:11:42 PM »
      Good news...thanx for lettin us know.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "