Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP - DVD/CD player stopped working on pc  (Read 2371 times)

mygenericemail349

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    HELP - DVD/CD player stopped working on pc
    « on: December 10, 2016, 01:56:22 PM »
    Hello:

Last night I tried to play a dvd on my pc.  I kept getting "No disk in drive e".  I use CyberlinkDVD player usually.  I tried Windows Media and also VLC media players and they dont even show that there is a drive e.

I thought the driver was corrupt, and when I tried to update it, it said "you have the most updated version".
    So I thought the device itself went bad, so I went and got another one.  Same thing happens with the new dvd/cd player rewriter.   Get the same message and everything.

Was told to delete drivers and reboot pc.  Did that, and nothing has changed.
    Tried to update firmware/driver for new dvd/cd player rewriter and got "No ATAPI found".

I really dont want to go thru the recovery method, as I would prolly lose most of my stuff I have on here.

I'm not very tech savvy, I just follow what Microsoft and LG have stated on their help forums.

Why is it doing this?

How do I get it to stop so I can start playing dvds again??

HP Envy desktop
    Windows 8.1

Just replaced OEM dvd/cd player rewriter with LG GH24NSBO

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: HELP - DVD/CD player stopped working on pc
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 02:25:54 PM »
    1) Optical drives do not need drivers.

2) Insert a bootable cd in the drive. Make certain the optical drive is the first device in the bios boot order. Reboot. Does the system boot to the cd you inserted? If not, replace the dvd drive.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 05:23:03 PM »
    FYI: The
    price for an external DVD drive is now lower that before. You can find something for around $20. Check with a local store. Walmart has one for $15.

mygenericemail349

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 05:31:25 PM »
      1) Optical drives do not need drivers.

2) Insert a bootable cd in the drive. Make certain the optical drive is the first device in the bios boot order. Reboot. Does the system boot to the cd you inserted? If not, replace the dvd drive.

What do you mean "bootable cd"?

I've already replaced the one that came in the pc with a different one today.....still get same results.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 06:48:46 PM »
      http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000669.htm
      This is useful for creating CDs that can be used to do such things as diagnose a computer, restore a computer's configuration, start the installation of a program or operating system,  or setup or update hardware.
      You need a working computer to make a bootable CD.