Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: processor  (Read 3833 times)

flamingpyroxxx

processor
« on: December 02, 2005, 01:58:34 PM »
what do i look at or open up to find out what kind of processor my motherboard supports? i have this decent computer here, but it has a horrible processor so i want to beef it up a little bit. How can i find out information on it?

Edit:
I just checked the current processor, it is a AMD-K6 3D processor, 501 MHz..
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 02:31:48 PM by flamingpyroxxx »

GX1_Man

Re: processor
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 03:09:32 PM »
You will be limited by the processors that motherboard supports. You can download Everest Home Edition (free at www.lavalys.com) or look on the boot up screen or check the manufacturer's web site to get any upgrade information.

flamingpyroxxx

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 03:47:41 PM »
well i have a new problem. I decided to just use my other computer and upgrade that one because it already has a better processor, one that i recognize, and everything i need. But, here is the new problem. I got everything put in the computer, and i try to put the plug into the power supply and right when i do, the power supply makes a real weird noise and my light for my vid card comes on for about a second. Then everything shuts off, and i can not start the computer. What might be the problem?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 04:33:58 PM »
A few things it could be...
Bad PSU...
Something is improperly seated/connected...

Re-check all your connections including all drives, RAM, and cards...

And keep your fingers crossed that you didn't fry that MBoard.

Do you have another PSU you can try ? ?

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

flamingpyroxxx

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 04:36:52 PM »
i do, but its a socket 7 amd (very old) and it doesnt work in this computer. I dont believe it is the MOBO, cause it was working right before this, but it is definately possible. It isnt the power supply for sure? i took out the power supply and then re-hooked it back up, but ill check the connections from the mobo to the drives and stuff. Thanks

EDIT: i just realized, the sound that it makes sounding like it is about to start up is the sinkfan for the processor.

EDIT 2: i found the problem and fixed it, but when i try to start it up it says there is a corrupt file, put in the setup cd-rom and hit r at the first screen to attempt to fix it....i put in the cd rom and hitting r never ever works, i still get the error. What now?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 07:17:22 PM by flamingpyroxxx »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 10:13:59 PM »
More info...
What CD
What OS
What is the full error message ? ?

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

flamingpyroxxx

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 10:14:56 PM »
nevermind i figured it out on my own, you guys were taking too long  ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 10:55:39 PM »
And how did you solve your problem? We are keen to know.

Don't be too quick on that "you guys were taking too long". This is a volunteer forum, not paid technical support 24/7!!!  :o :o :o :o :o

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 04:04:34 AM »

Don't be too quick on that "you guys were taking too long". This is a volunteer forum, not paid technical support 24/7!!!  :o :o :o :o :o

Great GX.  Yeah, periodically someone has to remind it :)
    Sometimes this forum works better than they do. I know this from experience. Sure you also.

Dont be enraged.  ;D
    « Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 04:07:12 AM by peccavi »
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

Tr0ubl3

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 02:50:32 PM »
    hi trying to upgrade my processor but when i put the new one in and turn it on {intel p 4  3.0ghz 800mhz  478 socket}
    just the power light comes on and i cant open my cd-rom drive to put in the recovery cd what should i do.on a hp pavilion 503g
    « Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 11:31:25 AM by Tr0ubl3 »