Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AUDIO: Sound crackling/distortion  (Read 4003 times)

Karateka95

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
AUDIO: Sound crackling/distortion
« on: December 16, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me: recently my desktop just developed sound crackling/distortion through headphones and speakers (all audio devices work perfectly on other devices such as phones, laptops, other desktops...).

The crackling worsens when more work is being done, especially when playing a game e.g. Subnautica, Overwatch... or watching 1080p 60fps videos whilst performing other tasks such as updates. The lastest GeForce Game Ready driver is installed.

As well as crackling and popping sounds, the audio will sometimes stutter, speed up or slow down.

I recently upgraded from a 300W PSu to a 450W Psu, because I realised the instructions that came with EVGA Nvidia GT740 GPU advised a minimum 400W PSu and I was under the impression that maybe the PSu was straining.

No improvement. Was any damage already done? I was using 300W with this GPU for about 4 months before switching PSu's. The problem started about a week ago.

I've heard of a range of possible causes - from drivers being executed for too long, to the motherboard being on its last legs. I'm not sure how to go about this though... I'm sorry if this should be in Software instead of Hardware.  :P

Hope this was informative. If you need anything else, please ask. All desktop specs are listed on my profile summary.

Many thanks,
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:34:45 PM by Karateka95 »
~ Karateka95

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: AUDIO: Sound crackling/distortion
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »
From dictation.
Hello, I see that this thread has been posted in hardware. Crackle snap pop noises in sound almost always come from some kind of hardware problem. So some questions about your hardware needed to be answered.
Is this computer one that you have built yourself? Or did somebody else assemble it for you? Either way, did this problem always appear from the beginning?
Let's just say that your video card is the problem. If so, then removing the video card and going back to built-in graphics should resolve the issue. Would you like to give that a try?
Now let's consider another way to prove that it's not software. If you're using Windows 10, you can make a portable Windows 10 operating system that sits on a USB drive. That option is called Windows to go. Look around and you should find it somewhere on your system.
If you can use that, reboot your computer and have it boot up Windows to go from the USB device. Then try listening to some music or watch a video. You should be able watch videos without doing any installation of anything. The Windows to go will have a slightly different set of drivers than your standard Windows. The Windows to go drivers should be as good as the drivers you are already have. If it is a software issue, then the problem should go away when you boot up a slightly different version of Windows. Well, at least that's what I think.
But let's say that neither of the above resulted in anything positive.
So now some questions about your earphones than your audio amplifier. You have an external audio amplifier hooked your motherboard right? And your headphones plug into a 3.5 mm hole on the front panel. Right? Have you ever tried plugging your headphones into the rear panel instead? Also, what about plugging in your external audio amplifier into the front panel instead of the back panel. I am thinking that there may be some difficulty with the front panel 3.5 mm connector. If both the rear panel and the front panel connectors appear to function the same and the noise is still there, we might conclude that the noise has nothing to do with the connectors inasmuch it should have to separate connectors and it's very unlikely both connectors would be failing at the same time.
Off the top of my head that's as much as I can think of right now. Microphone off

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 03:31:23 PM »
This is almost certainly RF Interference. This interference can occur anywhere between the DAC circuitry on the motherboard (or sound card) and the headphones/speakers themselves.

Biggest cause I've seen tends to be having Wireless networking components near the audio circuitry.

If it's recent and you've not had anything changed inside your case, it's possible something changed with your external setup.  As Geek Mentions you'll want to try the various available connectors on your system for audio output and see if they all have the same symptoms

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Karateka95

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 03:34:20 PM »
Ha ha! That dictation feature is awesome.  :P

It's quite old, my dad bought it quite some time ago. It may even be a decade-old! It's originally by E-S, model Ei 314 (as suggested by the label on the tower case...). He changed the motherboard to the current one listed. I added the RAM, GPU, SSD, and changed the PSu. The problem was never there before (see original post).

I dusted the PCI connector and re-seated the GPU and used an air disperser to clear any dust. The GPU's temperature never goes higher than 55 degrees C.

I always plug audio devices into the rear socket to avoid noise however it's just as bad, front or back. I detected large latency spikes using LatencyMon (see attached image). The audio is affected, but I've also noticed the system's responsiveness is slightly affected too. Audio and system responsiveness are affected simultaneously.

Link to LatencyMon download:
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/solving-dpc-latency-issues/

I only switch between headphones and stereo speaker, I don't think I have an external audio amplifier... actually, I'm not sure what is meant by an external audio amplifier I'm afraid. Is it just a speaker?  :P

Haven't tried the "Windows To Go" solution, how do I do that? Is it copied onto the USB? If so, wouldn't I need to deactivate the existing Windows 10 OS on the motherboard before activating the new copy on the USB? I think I would also lose my Windows 10 Anniversary as it was upgraded for free from Windows 7 Home (retail), and the free upgrade is no longer live.

Thank you for the quick response.  :)

P.S: The system is only using the integrated sound card. No additional sound card has been installed.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:59:00 PM by Karateka95 »
~ Karateka95

Karateka95

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 03:44:08 PM »
@BC_Programmer

The TP_Link wireless device is connected by USB and has been sitting near the tower without causing any problems. No changes were made to the external setup. I can't see how EM/RF interference would cause latency issues.

Apologies, I would have mentioned the latency issue as well beforehand, but I only found that after browsing a few forum posts whilst waiting for a reply. I would changed the title if I could.  :P

Anything else you guys need me to do?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:20:30 PM by Karateka95 »
~ Karateka95