Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop for video editing  (Read 2605 times)

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
Laptop for video editing
« on: February 08, 2017, 06:56:03 AM »
I currently video editing on a 2015 4th gen 3.1 Ghz dual core i7 13" laptop with 16GB of ram and a 512GB SSD with no dedicated graphics it takes way too long to export videos...  I need it to take less than 12 hours as it currently takes almost 48 hours to render videos that are over 30 min long.... i'm in the market for a new laptop for video editing... my internet is also a bottleneck for uploading my videos to youtube but that I can't control since I already have the fastest internet in my area with faster internet being over 1 hour drive south of me... too far for me to drive to

new computer must meet all requirements.... it must be 14" or smaller (NOT bigger!), must have a quad core cpu (no dual core cpu with 2 hyperthredded cores.... must be true quad core!), and must have dedicated graphics built in (it can NOT have integrated with support for eGPU)

the only computer I can think of at the moment is the new alianware 13 with i7-7700hq 1TB SSD, 32GB of ram and nvidea gtx 1060 but I know there are more computers out there which meet all my requirements as I don't know if that is the best computer for my needs... also I would like to consider used machines as the newest computers might not be the best option for my need

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: Laptop for video editing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 02:52:05 PM »
I currently video editing on a 2015 4th gen 3.1 Ghz dual core i7 13" laptop with 16GB of ram and a 512GB SSD with no dedicated graphics it takes way too long to export videos...  I need it to take less than 12 hours as it currently takes almost 48 hours to render videos that are over 30 min long....

What are you using to record your videos with? What software for editing and conversions? What format are your videos from beginning video source and the end product that you upload and resolutions? Are you using one of those free converters over an internet connection in which your throttled by the internet connection as well as I've seen some that throttle free conversions but premium users who buy into the conversion service get better performance? Any USB Video capture or converter devices being used etc? Are you using any trial versions of software that are throttled?

Something just doesnt sound right with it taking that long for that laptop.

I do video editing and conversions of video files all the time on old equipment and a 30 minute video of mine would be in the ball park of 30GB in size created with FRAPS and take 4 hours to process on a 8 year old Athlon II x4 620 2600Mhz desktop computer with 4GB RAM using VirtualDUB 64-bit to convert it and size it down. Prior to this CPU I had a Athlon 64 x2 4450B 2.3Ghz overclocked to 2.53Ghz also with 4GB RAM and Id set the video conversion before I went to bed and when I woke the next day it would be done with the older Dual-Core taking around 7 hours to do what the quadcore could do in 4 with all cores at 100%.  I also use Pinnacle Studio which came with a video capture device to edit my videos to add whatever i want to add or cut out on the rare occasion some content when the recording of game play has people sitting around and no activity etc so that the gaming events recorded are of all the action mostly. My end product for youtube is around a 1.2GB video file.  Also I am using the H.264 codec for my videos with VirtualDUB 64-bit video conversions which is the best size/quality ratio for my videos. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

My benchmark is this: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+620

And I think you have this CPU here 2.0Ghz with 3.1Ghz Turbo: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4510U+%40+2.00GHz

You should be getting better performance than myself I am thinking, however knowing what software and tools and what resolutions and video quality your using might show that your doing something above and beyond what i am using or your being throttled by something in your conversion process.

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 12:13:17 AM »
I record my videos on an LG G4, my videos are recorded at 1080p from the G4 and upload them direct to my mac with an i7-5557u CPU.... i've always thought the cpu in this machine was a Haswell but I guess it's a Broadwell (just looked it up).... still I'm using iMovie to do some basic edits like join multiple video clips and add titles and captions then export videos to my SSD at 720p .... I'm thinking of dropping my recordings to 720p since that's the lowest resolution I can record at without using a 3rd party camera app on the phone and that's plenty high enough as my internet will take days to upload a 720p video and I can just export at 480p if needed... the bottle neck would be my internet connection when uploading any videos to youtube as the fastest internet in my area is 10 down 1 up (more like 8 down 0.65 up) we don't get cable internet here and DSL is all we get... satellite and mobile data would be so expensive that buying another house would cost less in the long run....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:25:33 AM by Whitie III »

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 03:23:26 AM »
I'd definitely look into the settings you are using to render the video as well as maybe trying different editing software to see if that makes a difference.  The speeds you are getting are extremely slow and definitely point to some sort of problem rather than the machine just being underpowered, a machine with those specs should definitely perform much better than that.

Are you doing anything like applying colour correction or some sort of overlay across large parts of the video, this is all I can think could slow it down that much.  Simple cuts and joins with occasional transitions/overlays shouldn't cause this sort of slow render time.