Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba Satellite laptop power issue  (Read 4333 times)

Renic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Toshiba Satellite laptop power issue
    « on: March 02, 2017, 01:05:59 PM »
       Hey I need some help with a Toshiba Satellite C75D-B7230 that I can't seem to get to power up. I thought it was the power switch but that doesn't seem to be the case as I just replaced it and the computer still won't power on. Any ideas what else could be wrong and is it worth fixing?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Toshiba Satellite laptop power issue
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:45:46 PM »
    Power Supply tested with a multimeter to make sure it works is a start. If the power supply is bad then the laptop wont work without it unless the battery has a charge.

How did you replace the power switch on a laptop?

Renic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 11:15:21 PM »
      The computer receives power when I plug it in, the Battery charging indicator lights up and when I press the button, it turns off for a moment, as if it was gonna boot, then turns back on. Nothing follows. As for replacing the part, I opened the case and exposed the Mother board, removed the small chip that initiates the boot process, and replaced it with a brand new one bought from New Egg. Its a poor build quality but this makes it all that much easier to open up. My gaming laptop was much harder to open up and get to the mother board.

http://imgur.com/EF6jGud
      a picture of the Toshiba with it's exposed mother board. The power switch part is by the fan in the top right corner under the metal bracket for the screen. Three screws and it comes right out.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »
      The computer receives power when I plug it in, the Battery charging indicator lights up and when I press the button, it turns off for a moment, as if it was gonna boot, then turns back on. Nothing follows.

Thinking you mean its off and you turn it on, and then a few seconds later it shuts itself off.

For the fact that pushing the power button initiated this, then the power button likely had nothing wrong with it unless the momentary switch was not acting momentary in which it acts like the button is held in in which after turning on, it would have a hard shutdown condition.

With power button out of the equation, I'd be checking the FANs to see if any of them are not spinning. If the tach signal is not seen it will shut down pretty quickly to protect itself. Other thing to try is to power it with the battery removed, but power supply plugged into it from wall to see if this helps. Also does anything at all display such as a blinking cursor or logo or something else or does display show nothing always?

Any history on this computer as to what it was doing before it failed which might point a direction to look in, such as was it gaming and then all of a sudden died unexpectedly or was it charging at the same time that a storm rolled through in which it was hit by a power surge or it was dropped or something spilled in it or it was cold from being in car and brought into warm environment and turned on when still chilled to where moisture condensed on components and may have shorted signals?

Renic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:10:45 PM »
        No, I mean the battery light was on, showing a charging battery, when the power supply is plugged in. I press the power button, the battery light turns off, and then turns back on. it is an orange color, indicating charging, rather than white, indication power on. Nothing at all displays on the screen. The fans do not spin, the hard drive does not spool up, nothing happens. If it wasn't for that light it acts as if there is no power at all. As for history, I have none.

Renic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
          I have tried to boot it without the battery while plugged into the wall with no change. It still will not power on. Could there be liquid damage not visible to the naked eye? I have posted a picture of hte computer's internals. Here is the link to the picture again:
          http://imgur.com/EF6jGud

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 03:13:54 PM »
          Have you tried with HDD removed ? ?...and battery ? ?
          It's sounding more like the power brick itself has gone South...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Renic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 01:22:16 AM »
            I will give that a try. The owner of the machine is ready to declare it dead. Today I discovered it was hot, without it's battery installed just plunged into the wall, the fan was warm to the touch and the case hot. But the screen was blank and the LEDs did not indicate the computer was running. The fan was not spinning nor was the HDD. I dissembled the screen and found the cable connecting to the screen might have been damaged, but couldn't find a part number for it. Anyone know how to find that part number in case I need to order a new one?

Renic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 01:23:49 AM »
              On another note, any advice on looking for a new computer $400 or under that is more powerful for gaming than this machine? (laptop needed no place for a desktop at this time)

DaveLembke

Sage
              « Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 06:19:18 AM »
              $400 budget can get you into a new Core i3 laptop with Intel HD Graphics which is a little better than what you have now. I saw that Best Buy had a pretty closely matched HP Brand A6 Processor Laptop for $229.99 last week for sale with 500GB HDD and 4GB RAM to your current troubled laptop. I ended up picking up a Dell Laptop for $279.99 with a 2.1Ghz Core i3 with Intel HD Graphics and its ok for gaming with lightweight games, or reduced graphics settings for larger titles like World of Warcraft etc.

$400 isnt much money for a "Gaming" budget and when it comes to Laptops the money is stretched far shorter than what you can get for a desktop computer. Reason being for a desktop system, you can take a low cost system and add a good video card to it in your own hardware combination. I have seen people stretch their money with desktop builds where they get a CPU that is not the most powerful out there and focus on the video card for starters in the new build and they get a Celeron, Pentium, or i3 CPU and pair it with a GTX nVidia video card, and this allows them to have a system that runs games that are not CPU intensive but are GPU intensive well. Then later on when their budget allows and if they find that the weaker CPU really needs to be swapped out for better they will buy a better i5 or i7 CPU. Same goes if going with AMD where you can get a low cost CPU, and later when budget allows get a better CPU.

My prior laptop I used for gaming before my Core i3 Dell is an ASUS Celeron 1000M Dual Core  1.8Ghz with Intel HD Graphics. I dont suggest a Celeron laptop for gaming, but just saying that I am able to run games on this older Celeron if I wanted to, its just that its slow for games to load, but once loaded they run ok on the lesser graphics settings for World of Warcraft for example. For a entry level gaming laptop a Core i3 is about safe for light weight games and games that the specs of teh laptop match up to the minimum specs to run the games. Some games that state they require a 2.4Ghz Intel or 2.5Ghz AMD Quadcore will run ok on a Dual Core CPU system but not all.

Laptops dont generally allow for easy CPU upgrades, and I dont suggest CPU upgrades of laptops, so when it comes to laptops, but buy it for what it is and leave it as it is unless adding memory if the laptop is able to be upgraded. Some max out at 4GB or 8GB RAM and become throw away computers when more is needed and more memory unable to be added. They do this by design so your forced to buy a new laptop sooner vs later if you want to do something that requires more memory.

Renic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 09:28:42 PM »
                I presently run an ASUS ROG, G750-JW with an intel Core i7 24GIGs of RAM, and 2 1tb HDDs in it. it comes with a separate Nividia G765M video card. its a powerful laptop I bought when I was going to Afghanistan. it survived there and came back and still runs well, Im posting this on that machine now. it is my primary gaming computer.The owner of the troubled machine has given up and has decided to just buy a new machine soonish. I hope sooner than latter, hes hogging my small *censored* Dell that I do all my office work on.