Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Does the Core 2 Duo T7600 have any integrated graphics? If yes, what GMA?  (Read 4805 times)

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Everything happens for a reason
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
So, this year, one of my laptops is going to be 10 years old. It never had anything replaced inside it, so I thought the best decision I can make, considering the fact that I'm still using it ocasionally, was to upgrade its Core 2 Duo T5300, Hitachi slow HDD and 1 GB of RAM to a Core 2 Duo T7600, a 120 GB SSD and 2.5 GB of RAM. Now, the question is, does the T7600 have integrated graphics? I know it's a really stupid question, but I can't seem to find any information on the Internet about it having some GMA. And the reason why I want to upgrade that T5300 is because I want to play some older NFS titles, like MW, U2 and HP 2 in acceptable FPS, even 25 will do, but the way they run on a T5300 because of the GMA version is awfull, 15 FPS in lowest settings for MW and U2 and 35-50 for HP2 at Medium settings. So, what kind of GMA does the T7600 have?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Some links found:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2
The successors to the Core 2 brand are a set of Nehalem microarchitecture based processors called Core i3, i5, and i7. Core i7 was officially launched on 17 November 2008 as a family of three quad-core processor desktop models, further models started appearing throughout 2009. The last Core 2 processor to be released was the Core 2 Quad Q9500 in January 2010. The Core 2 processor line was removed from the official price lists in July 2011.[8][9]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics
Before the introduction of Intel HD Graphics, Intel integrated graphics were built into the motherboard's northbridge, as part of the Intel's Hub Architecture. This included Intel Extreme Graphics and the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator. As part of the Platform Controller Hub (PCH) design, the northbridge was eliminated and graphics processing was moved to the same die with the central processing unit (CPU).
The question 'Does Core 2 Duo T7600 have  integrated graphics' In a search shows:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1749436/core-duo-e6600-integrated-graphics.html
Two people said 'No.'
Sorry.  :(

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Core 2 Duos do not have a GPU on the CPU chip, it's part of the machine's chipset.  Intel only started integrating GPUs on the CPU back with Sandy Bridge IIRC.  In short, if you upgrade the CPU, you will still be using the same GPU as you are currently.

To be honest, I'd be careful over how much you are spending on such an old machine, you could probably get better performance by replacing the machine with something used for not much more money than you would be spending on upgrading the Core 2 Duo machine.

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
To be honest, I'd be careful over how much you are spending on such an old machine, you could probably get better performance by replacing the machine with something used for not much more money than you would be spending on upgrading the Core 2 Duo machine.

Yeah, that's very well said, since there's no integrated graphics. Then this transforms into another thread: "What used laptop should I buy in $125?". Any help with that? My necesities have been given in the start, but if I even need to mention this, if possible, not to boot up from Ubuntu in 3 minutes like this slow dummy does. Also, little to no throttling issues.

DaveLembke

Sage
While outside your budget of $125, I saw that Best Buy has a HP Laptop with AMD A6 CPU 4GB RAM and Windows 10 for $229.99 which has been tempting me marked down from $259.99. So if your budget can swing $229.99 if your in the USA and have a Best Buy near you, you can get a brand new laptop on the cheap for new.

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
There's no chance I'm reaching that budget. But that laptop is overkill for my needs anyway (NFSMW 2005 at playable FPS will be the most demanding game I'll ask from that machine). A 2012-2013 normal laptop should do the job, but I need one that doesn't have any thermal issues, like this old Toshiba didn't. For example, a Lenovo G570 with a Pentium B950 would do the job, but has really bad thermal issues. Maybe my budget is too low for that, but I will buy a new video card alongside a new laptop, minimum would be a GTX 660 Ti 3 GB, buying the 3GB because I need the extra Video RAM and that alone is at most $125. I won't give up on a new video card for a laptop that I will only use when I go out of town.

Side note: I don't live in the USA, I don't care about the OS, I'll most likely change it down the road  :P

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
With your budget you are gonna be putting up with all the issues you're seeking to avoid...just saying...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
Earlier today, I remembered about someone that had a laptop in 2007 and used it until 2012. I remember asking him ocasionally to borrow me his laptop. It ran at low temps, had good display, good performance in anything I could (and was allowed by him) to throw at it. I remember trying once a game that my Toshiba couldn't handle better than 20-25 FPS at lowest settings, 1024x768 and guess what? On his laptop, the game ran at 60 FPS (or at least I assume it was 60) locked at maximum settings, 1440x900. It was some kind of Lenovo Thinkpad. Today, I went up and searched for the laptop and got some good news. Most models use GMA X3100 or X4500, which from what I saw and read are good enough for what I need. Also, the lowest end model I saw (at a price of $100) had a T7200 inside and 2 GB of RAM. The HDD was only 80 GB, but I can live with that. I mean, Minecraft, NFSMW, U2 and HP alongside Windows 8.1 or Vista and Mozilla Firefox are certanly going to fit in there. Sorry to make the thread longer than necesarry, but I didn't remember about this laptop at that moment, so I panicked, because I didn't know what to do with such low budget. I was also thinking about a Dell Studio 1535, but that seemes like a thermal problematic laptop, reason why I insisted so much on "no thermal problems".

Computer_Commando

Hacker
...120 GB SSD and 2.5 GB of RAM. ...
Do these two & a faster wifi card & be happy.
I upgraded 2 Dell 1525's & am satisfied with the performance.
You can get the cpu, wifi card & RAM for next to nothing on eBay.

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
Do these two & a faster wifi card & be happy.
I upgraded 2 Dell 1525's & am satisfied with the performance.
You can get the cpu, wifi card & RAM for next to nothing on eBay.

1st: Thread is marked as solved.
2nd: Since there is no GMA on a better CPU, I won't be able to play NFSMW at decent FPS
3rd: I can't get anything from eBay, because I live in Romania and I have other options, which let me pay with cash when package is delivered, rather than a credit/debit card.
4th: The parts are next to $125 rather than nothing.
5th: When did I say I need better Internet performance? The laptop already has a good enough Wireless card inside.
6th: This: Lenovo ThinkPad T410s with i5 540M and 4 GB of RAM for $137.5 negotiable