Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop turn on for 4 seconds (No Display, Fan noise) and then turn off  (Read 644 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Candy

    Topic Starter


    Newbie

    • Experience: Beginner
    • OS: Windows 7
    I had it for nearly 2 years,
    Lenovo Y50-70 Touch -

    2 days ago while playing games on it, I smell a chemical smell coming from it so I immediately shut it down just in case. The next time I turn it on, it was fine the backlit keyboard glow red as usual but no display, and now it shut down after 4 seconds (with the fan running) whenever I turn it on except, sometimes It stay on (but still no display and no fan running).

    I got no experience into opening pc and such, I I tried opening it up and remove the dust that built us by quite a bit and tried to locate where the chemical smell was from, I though it was probably from the Fan or Coolers as it seems more strong there but not sure. After trying to turn the laptop on a few time the strong smell kind of dissipate a lot, and smell weaker.

    I been having a hard time trying to pinpoint just which part of the laptop is needed to replace. So if anyone could help me in the right direction it would be great. I just hope it wont have to buy a whole new motherboard x.x

    Also idk if thats helpful information, but the first year playing games was fine, but the 2nd year and the laptop kind of overheated so I tried to cut down a bit and the fans were making more noises than ever. Especially when opening a new game or google chrome.

    patio

    • Moderator


    • Sage
    • Maud' Dib
    • Thanked: 1648
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    • OS: Windows 7
    A chemical smell to me tells me it's likely a failing/burnt out capacitor...

    It would be best to have it checked out at a shop...
       
     
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

    Geek-9pm


      Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
    • Thanked: 929
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    • OS: Windows 7
    Candy,
    Hello. It is very possible that the battery in your laptop computer is at the end of its life. It will consume power yet not be able to keep your laptop running. If that is the problem, the solution is just to buy a new battery.
    Unfortunately, the industrious a whole is having difficulty adjusting to the use of lithium ion batteries. It seems that it's very difficult to get these batteries to last an indefinite period of time. These batteries also are very sensitive to heat, even more sensitive than other components of the computer.
    It should be possible to remove the battery from your laptop and then plug it into the electric outlet and run it directly without the need for the battery in place. I don't have your instruction manual in hand, but I think that is a standard procedure for most laptop computers. In fact, leaving the battery in the laptop for long periods of time and running it off of AC power is not really good for the battery itself.
    Anyway, removing the battery may be your best choice at this point. If your laptop will work without the battery in place, you might consider buying a new battery at some time in the future. Of course, without the battery any time you have a power outage whatever you're working on at the time gets lost. That is one of the reasons people like laptop computers is because if the power should accidentally go off the computer will keep running. Unfortunately, the lithium ion batteries are rather expensive to maintain. These type of batteries seldom, if ever, last as long as the laptop would.
    That's the best I can do. Perhaps others here have some better ideas.

    Candy

      Topic Starter


      Newbie

      • Experience: Beginner
      • OS: Windows 7
      Patio,
      I thought about that aswell but if the part end up something easy to replace I wouldn't want to waste nearly 100-150 bucks for the diagnostic alone and even more for the repair. Especially since my budget is low atm x.x

      Geek,
      I tried removing the battery before while letting the plug in, the laptop still give the same problem n shut down after 3-4 seconds.
      I thought of removing the motherboard battery and switching it with a brand new one but it was nearly impossible to get it out as it was kind of stuck to the metal so I left it alone.

      Geek-9pm


        Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
      • Thanked: 929
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      • OS: Windows 7
      OK, do like Patio said. Take it to a local shop.
      Ask them to look for a bad capacitor.


      patio

      • Moderator


      • Sage
      • Maud' Dib
      • Thanked: 1648
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      • OS: Windows 7
      Candy...Spotting burnt caps is actually fairly easy...however disassebling laptops is the opposite...which is the only reason i suggested a shop...
      If you happen to know anyone good at that that's another option...or the local PC Users group and / or a PC class at a local high school/College...

      Just thinkin of options.
         
       
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "