Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installed two additional HDDs and none of my drives are detected in bios anymore  (Read 6065 times)

synicaloutrage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Expert
    Hey guys, my first time on here and in a bit of a situation. For the past two years I've been running Windows 10 on a Samsung 250GB SSD and had a secondary WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD as my secondary storage. A few days ago I bought another 1TB WD Caviar Blue and 2TB WD Red disk. I shutdown my machine, unplugged all power and peripherals, grounded myself with an alligator clip band, put in the two new HDDs with new SATA and power cables, turned on my computer and receive the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". When I go into the bios, the only thing that is detected is my SATA Optical BluRay drive, none of my previous or new drives.Thought maybe for some reason there was too much power being drawn so I disconnected the new drives and cables and tried running my old setup, but received the same issue, Optical Drive is detected, HDD and SSD are not. Tried using just the SSD, but that didn't work. Tried each individual drive using different SATA cables and ports, but still are not detected in bios. Since the optical drive is detected and working, took the SATA and power cable from it and tested it on the drives, but they still don't get detected. Reset BIOS to defaults, rebooted, cleared CMOS, removed BIOS jumper from board, unplugged every power cable and piece of hardware from within and plugged it all back in one by one, BIOS is showing good voltages for everything, SATA is enabled in BIOS and the SATA settings are pointed to ACHI, tried switching them to IDE with just the SSD hooked up and restarted but nothing changed so I changed it back. Optical drive is detected in every SATA Port with every cable. Only thing I haven't been able to do yet is plug the 4 Drives into another machine independently to see if they are still working or not, hopefully will get a test machine in a couple days to try it out, but have really hit a wall.

My Build:
    4 x Corsair Vengeance 8GB 240-PIN DDR3 SDRAM 1600 PC3 12800
    Corsair Hydro Series H115i CPU cooler
    1 x ASUS Strix Geforce GTX 1080
    Rosewill Photon Series 1200W Full Modular Gaming Power Supply
    1 x Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5 250GB  SATA Internal SSD
    2 x WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDDs
    1 x WD Red 2TB HDD
    ASUS TUF Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Socked AM3+ 125W

Nothing is OC'd or in power save mode.
    Everything was running phenomenally before installing the two additional drives.

Let me know if there are any additional details needed.

Thank you

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Doesn't make sense...
    Normally if a HDD isn't seen in BIOS the drive is dead...chances of 2 happening at same time are slim.
    Do these drives have OS's installed to them ?
    Your boot drive should be on SATA 0 or 1...all others higher.

You may wanna try a new CMOS battery if the PC is 3 years or older.

For testing purposes leave the optical drive disconnected til you get them working.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

synicaloutrage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Right it doesn't make sense, not only are the two original drives not detected, the two new drives aren't detected either. So 4 drives total are just not showing up.

The SSD has my OS on it and is my main boot drive. It's been in slot 0 I believe for almost two years since I've installed it. Believe that's what the Sabertooth manual suggested placing it. I didn't move it when I was installing the two new drives and when nothing worked, I tried it in the additional slots to see if something would work

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      Do the battery...Part # CR 2032 available anywhere...even WallyWorld.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      Test or verify all the HDD in another desktop PC.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      Going to second Geek-9pm here, my first thought if I had that situation  occur would be to see if the non-detected drives are detected on another system. That would at least tell you if something happened to the drives or if it might be related to the original motherboard.

The only other things I thought of you already covered.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

synicaloutrage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks for the replys. Yeah I'm hoping to get a test machine available in the next couple days so I can try each one of the four drives separately, mainly to make sure they didn't all burn out at the same time without any sort of warning.

Going to grab a cmos battery and try that as well per Patio's suggestion.

Thinking ahead, if I have to get a new Power Supply or Socket AM3+ motherboard (or both), what recommendations do you have considering the build I have? I would think the 1200W PSU would suffice for all of this, but if it turns out this PSU is not working properly I'll want something reliable.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        If it is the motherboard you should be able to use a PCI-E SATA Host adapter, that would be cheaper than a new motherboard at any rate.

I don't think it is the PSU- it could be but it is very out of place for a PSU. usually if it doesn't provide enough power devices just don't work; In cases where I've had an underpowered supply and added too many hard drives, devices in PCI slots stopped working, hard drives disappear from the system, etc. but they all continued to function correctly in proper conditions.

But of course power supplies can do a lot of weird stuff.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

synicaloutrage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

So I've switched around a few things to try and resolve this. The Asus Sabertooth has 2 ASMEDIA SATA ports and 6 SB950 SATA ports. The SSD and HDD have both been running on the ASMEDIA ports for almost two years without issues until  I added additional disks yesterday. I moved the SSD which has my OS installed to SATA port 1 of the SB950s and connected one HDD to SATA 2, started my computer and got the same error, but when I went into BIOS, the SSD doesn't show up in slot 1, but the HDD DOES show up.

After seeing this, I shutdown, plugged the SSD into slot 2, once using the original power and SATA cables and once using the power and SATA cables from the HDD. Neither of these options allowed the HDD to be detectable in the bios, but if I try to boot up with just that SSD plugged in I get,

"The current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device. Click OK to enter BIOS setup. Go to Advanced > Boot > CSM Parameters, and adjust the CSM (Compatibility Support Module settings to enable the boot device"

I went through these settings and they match the default configuration. The Boot Device Control is set to UEFI and Legacy OpROM and the rest of the options are set to Legacy OpROM.

I'm still going through and trying a couple of things, but man, this is crazy.

synicaloutrage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Update from this morning: I have 4 HDDs and tried testing each one individually with different cables and ports to see if they would be detected, but none of the HDDs (two of which are brand new out of the box) do not show up in BIOS. Only the optical drive shows up when plugged in and when it's plugged in with a HDD, I get a message saying to insert a boot disk and reset, but if I disconnect the optical drive and try starting with an HDD in, I get a message saying that I need to go into my BIOS and adjust the CSM settings, none of which make a difference for any drive.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            Did you replace the battery yet ? ?

Have you tried it after re-setting BIOS back to defaults ? ?

synicaloutrage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Yep, replaced the battery with a brand new one, reset the BIOS, rebooted, still a no go. Also flashed the BIOS from 2501 to 2901. Found a spare 500GB 2.5" HDD yesterday and put that in and it detected it on intial startup, but after a reboot, it would not longer read it on any sata port on with any sata cable just like the other drives. Took out all ram and put one stick in, took out video card, disabled all lights and only left one HDD connected to see if somehow the 1200W wasn't able to power the HDDs, but doesn't detect any of them. Plugged up the optical drive just to make sure and that is still detectable, but no go for HDDs. Took an adapter from an external HDD to connect a couple of the HDDs to a laptop via USB and I could see them get detected there.

Thinking maybe its my SATA controllers or something with this motherboard, which sucks because I like this Sabertooth.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              I'd be returning that MBoard under Warranty...

synicaloutrage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Yeah was thinking/worried that I would have to replace this mobo. Over the last 5 years I think this is the 3rd AMD motherboard to have something fail on it, some of which required new CPUs as well, so I've been thinking so I've been thinking about making a switch to Intel.

Been looking at a few AM3+ boards and a few Intel boards/processors, but if you have any suggestions on on for reliability and scalability, please let me know.

Was looking at the AM4+ and Ryzen stuff, but it's so new and there's little supply out there that I couldn't justify it for now.

synicaloutrage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

UPDATE:

It's not good. So a friend brought over his machine which is working flawlessly and tried each one of my drives in his machine one by one. First the SSD, then the 1 TB HDDs, then the 2TB NAS HDD, and finally a 500GB 2.5" HDD. One of the 1TB drives and the 2TB NAS drive were both brand new out of the box 3 days ago which was when I installed them and started this thread because of issues. NONE of my 5 Drives are detected in his machine which is running an identical 1TB WD Blue and 2 identical Samsung SSDs.

They all power one and can here/feel the subtle vibration, but it's like the SATA port on each one of them is fried or something.

At this point, I can only assume it's a power issue with my 1200W PSU either somehow supplying too much power to just my hard drives or my mobo had some crazy kind  of short or something in it that messed up my hard drives, but somehow didn't mess up my optical drive that was plugged in at the same time. One or two of my HDDs were on the same power cable as my optical drive but it has no issues.

I feel like my only option is to get the two new HDDs replaced and count them as DOA, replace my PSU, and probably just switch to Intel and get a new motherboard, cpu, and ram and basically just start fresh.

How in the world do 5 drives all power on and run but get fry their sata connections, one of which, the 500GB, was working initially and then died out without running with any other drives.