Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Do I have to upgrade Graphics Card only or the whole Mobo + Graphics Card  (Read 3651 times)

chaosloader

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Things Unshared is Things Wasted
    • Sudip Rai
  • Experience: Familiar
I have a desktop system which is quite old. But it was quite decent to play some of the games infact still now there is not any issues in it.

Recently some of the new games stopped working in my desktop. Tekken 7 for example gave me an error which says "graphics card doesn't meet minimum requirements". I dont have quite a powerful graphics card in my system that may be the reason. But surprisingly the same game worked on my office's desktop which was Dell Optiplex 3040 with no graphics card and i5 processor.

Here is the snap of my system...

Do I need to upgrade the graphics card only or the whole system. If possible I would like to spend my whole budget for decent graphics card if upgrading only it can solve the issue...

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
I dont see your system specs or a snapshot of system. Knowing model number and make of computer works as well instead of a snapshot if you know that.

So what is the system specs of computer info of the system that your thinking about upgrading?

Your office computer the Optiplex with the Core i5 is able to handle games because the Integrated Intel HD Graphics are actually not that bad. The Intel HD Graphics can make games playable, but depending on the game they will either play well or play ok, or crawl with low frame rate. The error message your getting is that the game tests the hardware before it runs and due to GPU being to old it will abort and give up this message. The good thing is that most desktops have a PCI Express slot available to add a video card. The video card to add depends on if its a small form factor type of computer or small tower where card dimensions might be an issue was well as what you have for a power supply and what type of card you want to add to just be able to play the games or do you want the higher end performance such as from a nVidia GTX GPU card where you might have to also upgrade the power supply to handle the heavier load of the system. Lastly some games are GPU intensive, but happy with 1 or 2 cores of a CPU.

Are there any other games other than Tekken 7 that dont play that you would like to play?

As well as any games your considering buying in the future to where we need to make sure you dont under upgrade your system and end up having to yet again upgrade further and waste money?

Also what is your budget and we can suggest hardware if you like?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
You cannot simply compare a Core2Duo to an i5 and expect similar results...Period.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
I agree with Patio that thats a drastic difference

If your lucky you might be able to upgrade to a quadcore but still its dated performance of a Core 2 Quad vs a modern Quadcore. I think your looking at new MB and GPU with this. Although for $15 I have see on ebay Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz socket 775 CPUs and bought 5 myself to upgrade older duel cores to quads. Some boards I found out  dont support quadcore so I have 2 extras now.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
That being stated i wouldn't spend a thin dime on your current rig...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "