Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random Device Disconnect-Like Sound - PLEASE help me stop it!  (Read 4043 times)

finvarra

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I've had this problem for several months now and have been unable to find a solution elsewhere. Maybe someone here can help.

Here's the story:

I was using a self-built machine. Suddenly, about 3 months ago, random USB device disconnect-like sounds started occurring (sometimes 3x in a row, other times not for several hours) - I disabled all system sounds and it still continued, even though I didn't notice any USB hardware blips). Two months ago, I bought the new Intel NUC7i7BNH, installed Windows 10, and within a few hours the issue suddenly started all over again.

I've recorded the sound. Here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/finvarra/nuc-sound

I have replaced or swapped out literally all my hardware (even eliminated USB devices completely and used bluetooth keyboard/mouse), disabled all Windows power-saving settings, turned off ALL Windows system sounds, tested the same configuration on *3* different computers (1 running Win 10, the 2 others Win 7), been on several computer help forums, pretty eliminated every computer-related fix Google (and several computer advisers) could suggest including testing all USBs and running USBDeview (with no hits) - and the same "disconnect" sound (or whatever it is) continues.

So by now I have ruled out this being a USB or Windows issue.

It's definitely coming through the speakers b/c I can lower the volume. I get no hardware hiccups. Usually, the sound is the 2 tone Downward disconnect sound, but sometimes it just seems like 1 tone. The randomness is what is really frustrating. For instance it was silent all yesterday morning, then 3 times in a half-hour, then nothing until this morning - just once - and then suddenly nearly a dozen times in 10 minutes. There is just no pattern - no particular change in electrical usage - and the sound cannot be controlled or even disabled in Windows. The events viewer never shows anything that corresponds to the sounds.

One hypothesis was that it could be electrical in nature. I tested all the sockets on the circuit (tested fine) and even replaced them. No change. I thought that maybe it could be a firewall issue in my router (notifications???) and disabled it. No change. Someone thought it might be an alert from the router and sent packets to the router to try to replicate the sound. Nothing.

To summarize... I'm looking for something that (a) sounds like the above; (b) comes through the speakers (b/c I can lower the volume on it), (b) is totally independent of anything I may be doing (or not doing anything) at the time; (c) and is completely random.

The NUC itself is running great... and I would just like to figure out WHAT the sound is, WHERE it's coming from, and HOW i can disable it.

*I would appreciate ANY direction as this has been very frustrating experience. Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Random Device Disconnect-Like Sound - PLEASE help me stop it!
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:33:39 PM »
    Are these speakers connected via bluetooth or do they have bluetooth support to where other devices portable devices are interacting with them?

Asking this because it sounds like an issue my wife had with her speakers for her PC. They had bluetooth support and made a chime when devices connected and disconnected from them.

finvarra

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 11:04:03 PM »
      No, unfortunately.

Powered speakers -> AudioQuest Dragonfly DAC -> USB. (And the issue predates all this hardware.)

Was the sound on your wife's PC similar to the sound I posted?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 12:20:24 AM »
      Is this the same sound as when you connect/disconnect USB?

It is obviously not the Windows default sound, so I wonder if perhaps you might have changed the sound settings to point at another file, in which case it would mean it is a USB connect/disconnect sound and we can look at that.

Since it's not a USB connect/disconnect sound I've ever heard, I suspect it is coming from some software installed on the system. You may be able to open the Volume Mixer when you hear the sound and see if there is a weird Audio session present- or leave the volume mixer open and see if you can catch the software emitting the sound.

It's also possible it is a notification sound that is used by a website, in which case it would be coming from your browser. Otherwise it could be AV or any number of different pieces of software. A lot of software seems to think that it must notify the user of crap that nobody cares about by default, because they are just oh-so-important which of course becomes entirely annoying because you don't actually know *censored* is making the sound... But now I'm starting to rant myself!
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

finvarra

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 08:23:53 AM »
        No, it's not the same sound - and I've already disabled ALL Windows sound settings.

In the months this issue has been happening, I've pretty much exhausted the possibility that it's a USB issue - I've used every test I could find and nothing ever shows up that corresponds with the time of the event. As far as software... different software on all three computers, but same sound. Same with the notification sound hypothesis.

I'm thinking that it has to be something electrical (random power surges?) or external (some unknown device trying to connect?)... but would anything like this make that sound?

I'm stumped. Anyone have any out-of-the-box ideas. I'll try anything - short of a sledgehammer (yet)!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 09:08:23 AM »
        More info on the PC and components would be helpful....

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:09:07 AM »
        A lot of software seems to think that it must notify the user of crap that nobody cares about by default, because they are just oh-so-important which of course becomes entirely annoying because you don't actually know *censored* is making the sound... But now I'm starting to rant myself!

Best mini rant of the Month !

finvarra

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »
          Intel NUC7i7BNH -> PC
          AudioEngine %+ -> Speakers
          Generic keyboard/mouse
          Arris Surfboard -> router

But again, guys, this is happening over three different computers... and all the above is new or swapped out since the event started. Also, my ISP has changed.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:03 AM »
          If it's happenong over 3 different PC's then you can narrow it down by making a list of what all 3 PC's have in common...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 04:11:35 PM »
          I'm thinking that it has to be something electrical (random power surges?) or external (some unknown device trying to connect?)... but would anything like this make that sound?
          To me this is clearly an Audio file/sound effect being actively played. power surges or electrical oddities don't typicall result in well-formed sound effects- but rather noise, scratchiness, etc. Though I could of course be wrong.

I couldn't find any sound effects that matched, though there isn't any sort of web search for audio clips which could be useful to figure this out. I tried a bunch of applications to see if any sound effects matched and looked up some website notification sounds- which also had come up empty.

here's some thinking to perhaps narrow it down:

Mute the System audio entirely from the Audio settings (Volume Mixer). Of course this means you'll have to deal with no sound but if you hear the odd sound, then you've completely eliminated any and all software causes from the system itself. If you still hear the sound, then it must be "down the line" and isn't related to the computer. If you don't hear it- or at least don't hear it frequently enough to be reasonably sure that it's gone- then it is coming from the System itself, so likely has a software cause.

If it is a software cause then you'd have to take the Volume Mixer approach and try to catch the audio session that is making the audio. I can't seem to find any tools to "log" audio session data (eg to track that say the blah.exe audio session was making sound at such and such time, and I doubt if I was to start such a project it would be usable before you went completely bonkers from the sound effect)

If it is hardware- that is, muting the system itself doesn't get rid of the sound, then it is between the system and the speakers. The DAC, the Speakers themselves, etc; in that case you could try swapping in a simple set of headphones or  speakers temporarily to see if the sound effect goes away. If it does, it may be related to features like Bluetooth. on the speakers, for example- perhaps it plays it's own notification when it seems possible pairable devices, for example. Of course- as you mention, all that hardware changed, but I am guessing it largely changed from similar previous hardware. Best to go with as simple as possible and work your way up.

There is definitely something unique about your situation- I've never heard of people having this problem and I haven't experienced it myself- so Best to start somewhere.

Some additional thoughts

-Perhaps a list of installed software? Maybe something might be a clue there.
          -as mentioned, there must be something unique to your setup, though no doubt you've figured that much out! As I understand, NUC devices usually connect via HDMI; what are you connecting to, for example? Has that display been changed? Are the speakers running through said display (eg HDMI->Display->DAC->Speakers)? Perhaps the display is emitting some silly notification noise. There is some common element between the systems that you've seen affected that perhaps you've overlooked as not having the capability to cause this, but in many cases hardware has been given a lot of weird capabilities that don't make much sense (A Display pushing notification sounds via the audio out mixed with whatever it got via HDMI wouldn't surprise me at all).
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 07:38:30 AM »
          Are you using the bluetooth adapter module with these Audioengine A5+ speakers at all?

Easy connections and control

Convenient connections built into the back of one speaker make it easy to hook up a portable music player like an iPod or iPhone®. A USB power output lets you charge your player, and a minijack input accepts the audio signal from its headphone jack. A rear RCA input lets you connect another audio source. Both channels of amplification are built into the left speaker, so you just make a simple, secure connection between the left and right speakers using the gold-plated speaker terminals. An included remote control makes it easy to adjust the volume, even when you're sitting across the room.

For a wireless connection to your Bluetooth®-enabled mobile device, check out AudioEngine's B1 Bluetooth adapter.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_772B1ADPT/Audioengine-B1.html