Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Issues  (Read 2349 times)

Unity

Hard Drive Issues
« on: December 07, 2005, 03:58:20 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I recently purchased a new barebones system and was adding hte hard drive from my old computer and it won't work. The system boots up, but in the middle of the boot process it just freezes. I tried it in another system just to make sure it wasn't the new system, but it does the same thing there. I also tried to reinstall windows on it, but that gets hung up as well. Anyone know of anything else I can try before I just go out and buy a new one (which I really, really don't want to do)?

Thanks so much!!

nilrem_2

Re: Hard Drive Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 04:22:11 PM »
I would have a good look at ,the post you have  written<oops typed>

unity

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 04:26:07 PM »
What do you mean?

I'm almost positive the old system failed because of a fried motherboard. The old system wouldn't boot at all, and now this hard drive will start up on the new system. If that's what you meant.

nilrem_2

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 04:34:18 PM »
Maybe the old hard drive did not have an operating system on it......

When the pc booted,what was displayed on the monitor screen....

The system boots up, but in the middle of the boot process it just freezes .......
Posted by: Unity

Explain more:

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 04:40:49 PM »
    Unity .........
    recently purchased a new barebones system and was adding hte hard drive from my old computer and it won't work.
      Thats not surprising ......you cannot pull a HD from one pc and install it on another and expect it to work ...unless the mobo , cpu etc..... are the same as the one it came from.

you will have to format that drive and then do a clean install of your operating system.

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 04:50:09 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

unity

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 04:44:23 PM »
    Thanks for your help, I'm trying that now. Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

unity

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 06:45:34 PM »
    I freshly installed windows, and now the computer works fine. Thanks again for your help!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 07:08:11 PM »
      Unity........ Outstanding ....... Be sure to get all the available updates before you start reinstalling programs .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.