Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installation issues.  (Read 8378 times)

XPForever

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Installation issues.
    « on: July 10, 2017, 06:44:45 PM »
    Hello I am currently I am a little new to the forum and I am not very good at using computers when it comes to reinstallation.

I am having a problem where after restoring the recovery partition using 7 HP Restore disks it will always  Bluescreen so I decided to use recovery options and I used second option to erase and recovery but I have no luck and I tried the only options and I always get a System Recovery prompt that asks me to insert disk #2 but then it sits there for an hour copying the programs from the disk and is stuck on 2 % and I thought what if I borrowed or some how got the original installation media of Windows XP Home Edition because the machine came with Windows XP Home Edition with no service packs (basically the first version of Windows XP) so I thought could I use the product key on the side of the computer and use it with another Windows XP disk with the same version to install Windows XP on it because I have no luck on using the restore disks and HP doesn't make restore disks anymore so it is possible to use a normal Windows XP Home Edition disk that installs the same version of Windows but use the product key on the side of the computer and will it pass activation?  I have also tried several web pages but no luck on answering the question I have (webpages that have product key F.A.Q).

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Installation issues.
    « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »
    As long as Microsoft doesnt have that key flagged as pirated or improperly used, it should activate if the same exact version of Windows XP between the Key and Disc. You might be required to activate by telephone in which there are groups of numbers in like A thru G 6 digits each and if Microsoft approves activation they give you numbers in return to enter to manually enter. This usually happens if the network adapter driver is missing or computer is offline.

The issue with Windows 7 stalling hanging at 2% could be a troubled hard drive. I had a system a ways back that got to a certain percentage and it was hun there but the HDD LED showed activity. Booting system with Linux I was able to scan the hard drives S.M.A.R.T info and see that the drive was damaged and upon installing a healthy hard drive it installed the OS with no troubles.

XPForever

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »
      Do you mean Windows XP or Windows 7 because what if they block my product key?

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »
      Windows XP Install media with XP key from side of computer should work. They will only block it if its already blocked. If this key hasnt been misused it should work. If it was used to activate more than 1 computer or used to activate a computer too frequently then it could be flagged as no longer a valid key to which they will request for you to buy Windows.

The Windows 7 issue  with it hung at 2% could be due to a failed hard drive when no error is reported yet it doesnt make any progress further.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 08:46:15 PM »
      Windows XP Product Keys that are affixed to Laptops or Desktop PCs cannot be used with Retail copies of Windows XP. It will not accept the key. (and vice versa, Retail keys cannot be used with OEM CDs)

The key might work with a Generic OEM Windows XP Disc (Generic being not specific to any company as those would typically be restore discs)
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

XPForever

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 09:40:55 AM »
        On the side of the PC it doesn't say if it's retail or OEM does HP use OEM keys and not retail?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 10:40:41 AM »
        What is the model number of the HP?
        At one time HP had a install disk for Windows XP.  that OEM version of XP did notask for the product key if you were doing the install on a HP machine that was licensed for use with Windows XP. If you HP mchine is one of those models, and if your can find the origianl HP OEM Intall for XP, then you can do a fresh install and not have to uhe product key.

I had a couple of HP macines at one time and I still have the HP OEM CD. Sorry, I am going to keep it. I won;t let you have it. Howeverm you might check with a local computer club or maybe a dealer who has been in the PC service business for a number of years.

Look atthis:

That is not a HP, it is a Dell. He wants to sell it for about $21. Don't buy it, it does not have the drivers your need for the Hp.
        Here is an Hp, but it is SP2

You might find some place that provides the SP3 download. I am not sure about that.
        I believe taht CD withh work on a HP made from about 2004 through 2007. I think.

XPForever

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
          Well the PC I have is an HP 7935 it should of been up there when I typed out what the problem was and I really don't need the disk that you have if you thought I needed one because I was able to get a hand of a Windows XP Home Edition disk and that should work and before using the product key on the PC I tested the Windows XP install to see if it is a Retail or OEM.  Thanks for the help.   :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »
          Good. Sounds like you have a plan.
          Please let others know  if the OEM product key  will work on the CD you obtained.

One reference says taht machine shipped with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition .
          A product key for the home edition will not with with thMicrosoft Windows XP Home Edition ro version. An neither wil theMicrosoft Windows XP Home Edition ro key work on the hom. I am rostly  abouthat.  :)