Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Seagate HDD issue, any help  (Read 3135 times)

ronaldD

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Seagate HDD issue, any help
    « on: July 18, 2017, 11:10:35 AM »
    OS: Mac 10.6.8 ; External HDD: Seagate Baracuda 7200.11, Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)
    My External HDD had trouble spinning, which was resolved. Now it spins for about a minute once connected and stops. It doesn't show up on desktop but seen on Disk utility with a lower volume (Shows as 4.14Gb instead of 1.5Tb). I cannot repair, erase or reformat it using disk utility gives “Cannot allocate memory” or “Resource busy” error message.
    Tried using the terminal with dd-code: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-create-disk-image-on-mac-os-x-with-dd-command/#comment-920537 to do the same gives “Resource busy” error when used the command with gzip, otherwise gives “/dev/destination drive/foo.img: Not a directory” error. The unmount using dd was successful.
    I cannot successfully recover any of my files. Used one of the disk recovery tool to make Disk Image ~3.86Gb size.

Does anyone got any idea what could be the problem? I am reluctant to hand it over to data recovery... any DIY solutions?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Seagate HDD issue, any help
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »
    Can try removing the HDD from external enclosure and installing it into a desktop computer as a slave drive and see if you can access it that way. This way if there is an issue with the external enclosure electronics that's eliminated. I have had external drives die before and it be the enclosure that died.

ronaldD

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 01:39:18 PM »
      Thanks DaveLembke, the possibility of external enclosure problem is eliminated since I have tried different enclosures and docks. They all gave me the same results. I thought it could be a hardware issue, possibly with the platters but, it is accessing 3.86Gb from the HDD. So I wonder how is that possible.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 09:57:19 AM »
      3.86GB could be accessed if you have multiple partitions on the drive and 1 of say 2 partitions is still healthy. Look in Disk Management and see if it shows other partitions. Additionally run CrystalDiskInfo and scan that drive for health. It will read the S.M.A.R.T data off the drives in the system and you can select the drive that has the issue from the list and if there are any warnings, then that drive is in bad shape and will need to be replaced.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 06:18:04 PM »
      Better off runnin SeaTools since it's specific to the HDD...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 06:45:35 PM »
      It sounds like the drive may have failed altogether.

You mention your OS Version (Mac OS 10.6.8 ) but you don't mention the specific system you are using. Is this a MacBook, Desktop, etc? Ideally, you would remove the drive from it's enclosure and connect it directly. Enclosures and docks all tend to use the same USB controller circuitry and thus can often exhibit the same issues when it comes to drives that aren't in tip-top shape, the sort of issues that a motherboard SATA Host Adapter doesn't experience or can at least get more specific information regarding.

Otherwise, you might try Dave's suggestion by connecting this external drive to a Windows system (and of course saying no to any format/initialization prompts) and using Disk Management and/or CrystalDiskInfo; it might tell you something more than what Disk Utility did regarding the size of the drive. As I recall, 10.6 indicates that you are using an Intel-based Mac which should allow for BootCamp operation, so you might already have Windows available for this purpose without using another system. Alternatively you can find tools like "smartmontools" that can be used from OSX.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 06:35:06 AM »
      Thanks BC for assisting with this... I totally missed the part that they are using a Mac. But with their build they could test it with tools with bootcamp operation.