Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Say Good-Bye to the iPod clasics.  (Read 6711 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Say Good-Bye to the iPod clasics.
« on: August 03, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »
This last week Apple announced the end of life of the iPod and some of the other items related to it. This should not come as a surprise as nowadays you can find smart phones radios and other gadgets that will play MP3 files just as good.
Still, the iPod genre was one-of-a-kind.   :'(
Here's an article from Popular Mechanics.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/a27515/ipod-shuffle-ipod-nano-dead-discontinued/
It should be no surprise that Apple has finally canned these two older 'Pods which no longer really fit into Apple's suite of modern devices. Neither device supports apps, which have become a cornerstone of Apple's music business now that Apple Music has all but replace the aging, bloated disaster that is iTunes. Similarly, streaming (which neither of these devices can fully support given they've got no capacity for a data connection) has overtaken older download-ing based habits.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Say Good-Bye to the iPod clasics.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:16:06 AM »
They are no longer sold new, but they didn't vanish from existence.

Personally I've found smartphones to suck awfully for playing music. Aside from having awful battery life, they lack tactile buttons and oftentimes the software sucks. I tried to put music on my phone and then found out it doesn't actually have a way to play music- so I download VLC and it manages to find about 20% of the music I put on, arbitrarily not allowing me to play others unless I navigate there manually for every single file. I still have no idea how to make playlists and can't be bothered to look into it due to the general deficiencies; If you are going to play music on a smartphone it seems the way you have to go is through the use of streaming services which is exactly what was noted in the article.

I still use a 16GB Sony MP3 Player for music. Which replaced a similar 4GB model I've had for 10 years. Only reason I replaced it was because it has literally fallen apart over time.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Silimon

• Experience: Expert
    Re: Say Good-Bye to the iPod clasics.
    « Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 03:48:55 AM »
    It's so sad :'(