Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't turn on  (Read 2156 times)

mnruth

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer won't turn on
    « on: August 23, 2017, 10:45:59 AM »
    A few days ago, my Acer Aspire (E5-573 series) started turning off at random times. It wasn't hot, it wasn't because of movement, and I don't believe it's from dust buildup.  I tried the battery reset thing with a paperclip- didn't work. Then, it shut off completely and wouldn't come on at all. Now it is going a glitchy screen like the one in the attached picture. Could it be a virus? I would appreciate some help.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer won't turn on
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
    Looks like a hardware failure. Virus's dont cause a system to not boot at all.

Try booting with it powered off the wall adapter and battery removed from laptop. If you have a access panel to get to the RAM, make sure the RAM is seated properly. If you have more than 1 RAM stick then remove 1 stick and see if it will run on that one stick. If it doesnt, then try the other stick in it to isolate the problem to a bad memory stick.. for laptop that has 2 sticks.

Other cause for shutdown like this and then no power up at all would be a cooling fan that died, however a dead cooling fan that fails to spin should cause laptop to boot for a few seconds and then shut off when the fan speed is not detected.

Any other info/history on this laptop as to if it took a fall or got wet?