Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Lights on Laptop and Doesn't Turn On  (Read 2468 times)

rtey31

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    No Lights on Laptop and Doesn't Turn On
    « on: August 30, 2017, 09:04:29 AM »
    I have a Toshiba P50-A that I took apart to dust off the cooler and replace the thermal paste on. Now there's no lights turning on on it, even when plugged in, and it does nothing when the power button is pressed.

Things I've tried:

1. Reseating RAM
    2. Taking out battery and power and holding down power button for 2 minutes, then reconnecting power and trying to boot.

Any ideas?

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: No Lights on Laptop and Doesn't Turn On
    « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 11:12:23 PM »
    You probably missed a connector somewhere, its easily done. Best thing to do is take it apart again and search for unplugged cables. Try searching for instructional disassembly videos for your laptop on YouTube if you are still struggling.

Last time I did this I missed the CPU fan connector and wondered why it ran hotter with no dust and new paste  ::)

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
    Best thing to do is take it apart again and search for unplugged cables.

Also try unplugging everything again and plug it in again, just to make sure everything is solid. A partially plugged connector can be hard to spot and can be just as bad as a fully unplugged connector.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »
    The ribbon cable from main board to daughter board might be either flipped or not inserted properly and locked to connection to main board. Hopefully you released the ribbon cable lock and didnt just yank the ribbon out the the jacks connection jaws. There are plastic locks that wedge the ribbon tight to the pins in there and if you didnt release the lock first you could have damaged the ribbon cable or connector. If your lucky its just that the ribbon was inserted and just not locked and so not enough pressure between ribbon an internal pins to make contact in which you just need to lock the ribbon.

The daughter board handles power button and LED status I believe on your model. Additionally some laptops have the power jack on its own little PCB with a cable from that to main board which allows for damaged power jacks to be easily corrected with a replacement small daughter board like PCB with the jack seperate from the main board. Maybe this wasnt connected.