Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Asus Laptop Randomly and Regularly Loses Wifi Connection  (Read 2880 times)

Kimetto2257

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Asus Laptop Randomly and Regularly Loses Wifi Connection
    « on: September 06, 2017, 12:33:11 AM »
    I have a ~3 year old Asus X552e laptop which has begun regularly losing the Wifi connection perhaps 2-3 times per day.  Fixes I've tried include updating the wireless adapter drivers, changing the power settings so that Wifi does not switch off when in power-saving mode, and running the troubleshooter if and when it does go off. 

The connection always comes back upon restarting, but obviously time and sometimes work is lost by losing all browser activities and having to restart the whole system.

This began happening within the last 2 months or so; it occurred to me that a Windows 10 update released during that time may have been a partial cause. 

Mobile and other devices using the same router have no such issues, so the problem is only with this laptop.

Can anyone suggest any possible solutions? Thanks in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Asus Laptop Randomly and Regularly Loses Wifi Connection
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:43:09 AM »
    Friend of mine ran into same issue with a HP laptop he had and Windows 10 stomping on his wireless drivers. His solution was to buy a USB Wireless Adapter and connect through that. He bought one that was listed as Windows 10 compatible and so Windows 10 didnt see drivers for a prior version of Windows and take it upon itself to replace them etc.

He has this adapter here which fixed his issue and also has bluetooth in addition to Wireless N which supports backwards compatibility to B/G as well: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315160&cm_re=usb_wireless_adapter-_-33-315-160-_-Product

Only drawback is that it consumed one of his few USB ports, but he had plenty of USB ports to get by on his laptop. Additionally this adapter installs very close to the body of the laptop, there are some out there that look like USB Flash Sticks and those come at a risk of sheering off your USB port when bumped or bent upwards etc, while this model is small and not much to catch on anything.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Asus Laptop Randomly and Regularly Loses Wifi Connection
    « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
    Theres a hidden setting in Device Manager most people miss...it says "allow Windows to turn this off to save power"...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "