Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What web hosting company would you suggest?  (Read 7351 times)

edzha90

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    What web hosting company would you suggest?
    « on: September 10, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »
    I would like to host a single website with email service, what hosting provider would you suggest? I used godaddy for a while and it's really expensive for one website.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What web hosting company would you suggest?
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:11:42 PM »
    Well, I could sell you space. But that is not a good idea. For one, I am still getting accosted to trying to make things work even after 15 years at web hosting. And the forum would not like me to sell to people using the forum.

Yes, goody is good, but too month money if you need  a very simple one page site with w-mail. Otherwise, I like Go-daddy. But hey ask too much for a basic web site.
    Going into my history, here are some companies I know will work and have low prices. You can get a better deal if you pay for a whole  year. and expect to pay about $10 for a year

On eBay:
    cpanel hjosting one year:

Seller : premiumforallbudgets (28 )
    100% Positive feedback

Seller : conectserver (243 )
    100% Positive feedback

On vendor, Speedy-Host is very popular and cheap.
    Unfortunately they are under an attack by some kind of DoS hacker.
    I got some space from them, but can not use it now doe to the rvo; hacker trying to ruin them. My guess is the hacker is jealous of their success.

Many low-cost vendors will allow you 25 or more e-mails on one domain.
    I like that, I can have several e-mails for different things I like to do.
    Hope this is some help to you.  :)
    Any questions?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:24:33 AM »
    If you have anything important on the website, I would not trust random eBay sellers to provide web hosting.  As you mentioned, one of them is already down due to some sort of DDoS attack - A decent provider should have protections against this.  I'm not hugely familiar with the current web hosting market but I'd always recommend paying a little bit more and getting something from a reputable company that you know won't disappear overnight, run insecure systems without the knowledge to manage them properly or have random issues with little to no support.  It's ridiculously easy for people with a bit of technical know how to rent a couple of servers, throw on some web hosting management software and start selling web hosting, the issue is that half the time it's just a single person doing it and when things go wrong they lack to the knowledge to fix it and just disappear off the face of the earth and probably start up another host under a different name and do the same again.

Off the top of my head I can think of companies like MediaTemple, Gandi, OVH, FastHosts and HostGator which all provide reasonable quality shared web hosting.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:22:38 AM »
    Check out Bluehost (https://www.bluehost.com/)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 07:43:35 AM »
    I have used Bluehost, they are good.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:38:57 PM »
    Some more things.
    I made this recommendation:
    https://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,162658.0.html
    The 1and1 company a\has very good documentation and is worhtshile to take a look even if you don't want to use their service. Yhe guides they have represent what is now current in web hosting. Some other firms make a lot of claims and then fail to explain how something is done.
    One major hosting firm claims you can have many FTP accounts, but you can not use FTP on their site. I got one, the claim it works and it does not.
    Check ans see what refunds your can get if things do not work.
    IMO,  avoid a long term contract.  :(