Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Remove Program from Add/Remove Programs  (Read 4940 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Can't Remove Program from Add/Remove Programs
« on: September 26, 2017, 02:02:13 PM »
I have a program ("APowersoft Online") in my Add/Remove Programs that won't go away. When I click uninstall, I get the error message:
File "C:\Users\RJB\AppData\Local\Apowersoft\Apowersoft Online Launcher\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall.

I have tried through Control Panel=>Add/Remove Programs, CCleaner's Uninstall, and Windows 10's squishy "Apps & features" feature.

I have tried going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall, but no APowersoft anything appears there.

I have also tried in Safe Mode.

What's Next?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: Can't Remove Program from Add/Remove Programs
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »
The Registry Key where it is listed may be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall rather than the usual place.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »
Thanks. To clarify, Patio, it's not that it's trapped in my Start Menu, it's trapped in my "Add/Remove Programs" list in Control Panel.

BC, I scoured the section of the registry you suggested - a treasure trove! - but, alas, no evidence of "Apowersoft Online Launcher."

Interestingly, I found a whole lot of sketchy uninstall software on the web that addresses this specific application... But I'm not about to add sketchy software in an attempt to remove sketchy software. Am I?

I did a search in my registry and found two entries: "Apowersoft Online Launcher_RASAPI32" and "Apowersoft Online Launcher_RASMANCS", both at the branch
Code: [Select]
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing
(oddly enough, entries for other uninstalled software there). (Export attached - Tracing.zip).

I also found a key at
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\dam\UserSettings\S-1-5-21-3516115422-391001653-599890878-1002
called
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Users\RJB\AppData\Local\Apowersoft\Apowersoft Online Launcher\Apowersoft Online Launcher.exe and one called
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Users\RJB\AppData\Local\Apowersoft\Apowersoft Online Launcher\unins000.exe (which is the "missing" executable)
I found the same two keys at
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\dam\UserSettings\S-1-5-21-3516115422-391001653-599890878-1002
(subtle difference in location - "CurrentControlSet" vs. "ControlSet001".

There is a whole "apowersoft-launcher" branch at
Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3516115422-391001653-599890878-1002\Software\Classes\apowersoft-launcher\shell\open\commandbut it seems to be empty.

At
Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3516115422-391001653-599890878-1002\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCacheThere are entries
C:\Users\RJB\AppData\Local\Apowersoft\Apowersoft Online Launcher\Apowersoft Online Launcher.exe.ApplicationCompany and
C:\Users\Robert J. Binney\AppData\Local\Apowersoft\Apowersoft Online Launcher\Apowersoft Online Launcher.exe.FriendlyAppName

At
Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3516115422-391001653-599890878-1002\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp4\OpenWithListThere are multiple entries, including one called "g" (there is "(Default)", followed by  "a" through "g", culminating in "MRUList") The value for "g" string (ha ha) is "Apowersoft Online Launcher.exe".

Last, but not least (this is what editors call "Burying the lede") there is a branch called
Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3516115422-391001653-599890878-1002\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{20BF67A8-D81A-4489-8225-FABAA0896E2D}_is1That seems dedicated to Apowersoft Online Launcher (attached - Is This It.zip)

I feel like if I delete this last branch and reboot, everything should be Fonzie.

But even though I have a snazzy Restore Point created, I think I will wait until I hear yall's feedback.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »
Yes, I'd say delete that key you listed at the end. I'd guess it is actually in your HKEY_CURRENT_USER (HKEY_CURRENT_USER is basically a  shortcut for your user key under HKEY_USERS). Looks like if an install is able to complete without ever receiving admin rights (eg installing to %APPDATA%) it would register itself there instead.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 06:54:37 PM »
Seems to have done the trick.

What's the emoji for head slap!?!?

Thanks for your help, folks.