Microsoft > Windows 10 and 11

What happened to Windows 9?

(1/2) > >>

dangkhoa:
Sorry, my logical mind is acting up again. Why no Win 9?  8)

Geek-9pm:

--- Quote from: dangkhoa on September 27, 2017, 10:31:32 AM ---Sorry, my logical mind is acting up again. Why no Win 9?  8)

--- End quote ---

This will bring a lot of dumb answers.

The accepted resewn is that some developers only looked at the fists numeral and the if it was a 9 then the developer would assume windows 95, 98 or 98se.
So MS make the new OS 10  to prevent them for thinking s was an ealier version of windows.
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/191279-why-is-it-called-windows-10-not-windows-9

--- Quote ---here’s also the fact that the name of each Windows release doesn’t actually match the real version number. For example, Windows 8.1 is actually version 6.3 of Windows. Windows 10 is version 6.4. The last time the release name actually matched the version number was the enterprise-focused Windows NT 4.0, which was released back in 1996. Windows 2000, which was called NT 5.0 during development, was actually version 5.0. Windows XP was version 5.1. Windows Vista was 6.0, Windows 7 was 6.1, Windows 8 was 6.2, and Windows 8.1 is version 6.3.
--- End quote ---

Myself, I think it was more about marketing.The 9 would sound so dumb. Like a 10 of anything is the best. A 9 is not the best.  And look at Apple. They already had a ten, the roman-numeral X. Marketing rules above logic.  :D

patio:
Nothin happened to Windows 9...it never existed.

BC_Programmer:
The numbers MS started adding since Windows 7 never really meant anything. Windows 7 wasn't the 7th version of Windows and wasn't even version 7; nor was Windows 8 or 8.1 version 8 and 8.1 respectively.

Even if they were version numbers, There is no rule about how you label or increment versions. You can do whatever you want. a First version can be version 10 if you want, and A lot of software skips versions for marketing reasons. Word for Windows skipped straight from version 2 to version 6, for example. Excel had no version 3 for Windows, etc.

Mac OS X that Geek Mention started at Version 10, even though it was a Version 1. (X or 10 was a marketing choice there to indicate succession from their previous System Version 9)

Similarly, Apple's System 8 was largely labelled as such not due to technical changes from 7 but as a way to get out of clone contracts with clone makers to effectively put an end to them.

Geek-9pm:
Myself, I have no trouble with the number 9. I am Geek-9pm and  i never was a geek8 or a geek7. I just started out as a 9 and will always be a 9.
Well, yes there  is a geek7, but it never was me.
An somebody has geek8.
Geek6 looks nice, but they will not let me put her picture here.
Forum rules.

Now, as for MS, they say thee will not be a Windows 11.
It will always be 10.

This was released on April 1 this year.:

Microsoft skips Windows 11, announces Windows 12 in early 2019

Click image to enlarge.

--- Quote ---Windows 12 is all about VR

Yes, you’ve read that right! Our sources from the company confirmed that Microsoft is planning to release a new operating system called Windows 12 in early 2019. Indeed, there will be no Windows 11, as the company decided to jump straight to Windows 12.

--- End quote ---
Do you believe it?   ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version