Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98SE Exiting to Dos  (Read 102910 times)

Nick Mikhay

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows 98SE Exiting to Dos
    « on: September 29, 2017, 11:35:15 PM »
    Hello,
    Installed win98 to have a true MS-DOS in native mode operating system. The best thing about it: Restarting in MS-DOS mode is not working when I click the shutdown menu and restart in MS-DOS. The display looses signal and the computer goes into an unknown state. I thought it may be something to do with the video card, so for the record I am using an ATI7000 AGPX4 Card. The motherboard has INTEL Chipset ICH2.
    I tried to smooth out the installation as much as I know how. Installed all of the drivers I found online and on the disks, no problems in the device manager other than the onboard sound. Could not find a driver that works still searching.

The other thing, I did find in the COMMAND FOLDER several MS-DOS shortcuts for games. EMS and XMS support, or just XMS, and also a plain Restart in MS-DOS. So the first two seem to work and reboot while the latter does the same as when I click on restart in MS-DOS from the shutdown menu. I thought that it may have something to do with config.sys file or autoexec.bat, so, I checked the files and printed them out, except the latter file which is set to simply use "existing MS-DOS Configuration" and which does not show the contents, (program tab on the shortcut that is).

Another thing, I thought to check the config.sys and autoexec.bat files on the root of my drive, but they are empty. Only one line device=C:\windows\setver.exe

I tried making a few changes to the config.sys but immediately had a problem at boot, so I think that first line setver.exe is critical to windows starting.

Any suggestions, please help. If anyone knows where I can turn to, please do.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows 98SE Exiting to Dos
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:51:53 AM »
    Perhaps your display doesn't support the text mode? Are you able to boot directly into MS-DOS Mode via the F8 at startup? (you have to press it before the boot logo appears)
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Nick Mikhay

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »
      I don't think so, DOS will work when I hit F8 at boot. So the card must supports text mode?
      The only problem I have is with the shutdown menu command to restart in MS-DOS.

Can this be anything with ACPI Power Management. I found out there is a special switch to use when installing as in > setup.exe /PJ

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
      Well, pressing F8 at startup should give a similar capability, as a workaround.

Is this Windows 98 SE, or FE? the original release had a lot of bugs involving restarting in MS-DOS Mode. And both versions often had Conflicts with the video card drivers that prevented it altogether.

Sometimes it also takes quite a while to actually get to the DOS prompt- so maybe give it a few minutes at the blank screen. if you haven't done so.

If you have SE you'll want the  "Unofficial service Pack" as it rolls in a number of updates Microsoft released, including one titled "Shutdown supplement" specifically to fix "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" issues.

Nick Mikhay

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 11:15:49 PM »
        I checked the video related bios settings, and there was one option to "reserve IRQ  for VGA Card", and since I have AGP, decided I don't need to take up the extra resource. Enabling this to see if it would make a difference actually did, and I'm now able to restart in DOS from the shutdown menu. I wonder if I will need that IRQ for something else? OR it is funny how computers work.

Nick Mikhay

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 12:21:57 AM »
          Does anyone know what this means.
          Autoexec.bat
          REM The following lines have been created by Windows. Do not modify them.
          REM
          C:
          CD C:\Windows
          CALL C:\Windows\command.com
          C:\windows\win.com /wx

Couldn't reboot, so I blanked out the whole autoexec.bat file. This was in there, and not sure how it got there, since I think the whole thing was blank to begin with. Couldn't find what the /wx switch means neither. Not sure if I can/need to put them back now?
          Any way I can regenerate the files.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 04:07:46 AM »
          That's generated by Windows when you reboot into MS-DOS mode. It places that there so that you can type Exit and "return" to windows.

The /WX switch is undocumented. It will restart the computer and will restore config.sys and autoexec.bat from the "old" versions that windows replaced when the system was restarted in MS-DOS mode; these originals are CONFIG.WOS and AUTOEXEC.WOS.