Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking at a new desk top computer  (Read 23484 times)

Tinman2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Looking at a new desk top computer
    « on: October 30, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »
    New to this forum.   Looking at a new computer. What is your opinion on
    Asus  intel core 15-7400 desktop PC
    7th generation intel
    Core  15-7400
    Processor at 3GNI
    8GB  DDR4 memory 2TB
    Hard drive
    Bluetooth 4.1 HDMI
    Eight USB port  going for 649.99
    It has a DVD RW

I know nothing about computers.  All i know is how to turn it on and off
    Use it for email, banking, tax forms, pictures, will be installing office 2010. 
    This computer comes with windows 10 home.
    Any input would be helpful.

Also looking at
    Asus AMD A10-7800

Both at best buy.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Looking at a new desk top computer
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 06:00:13 AM »
    Welcome to the forum!

Based on the description of your planned use, the specs you listed are more than adequate.  As long as you don't plan to do any gaming (or other graphics intensive computing) in the future, you should be OK.  Since no video card specs are listed, I would assume the system is strictly using video hardware built into the motherboard which is fine for your intended use but woefully inadequate for gaming.  You may be able to add a video card at a later date but that would most likely also require you to upgrade the power supply.

The 2TB HDD should provide plenty of storage space for you unless you start filling it up with large files such as movies.  8GB of RAM should be plenty unless you start doing some really heaving multi-tasking with many applications running simultaneously.  The DVD RW can be useful at times but those type of drives are quickly going the way of the floppy disk drive.  Of the 8 USB ports, it would be nice to know how many are version 2.0 vs 3.0.  Other things to look at would be to see if there are any free slots on the motherboard and what size power supply is installed in case you wish to expand the system in the future.

Tinman2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 09:36:46 AM »
      Thanks for your help.
      The spec that I can find.. Best Buy has it on sale for $649.99   think of waiting till black Friday hope it come down a little. 
      So DVD is going so what is it going to replace it ?  Thinking of putting all my pictures on a CD. that is way I want the DVD RW.

More Information

•3GHz 7th generation Intel Core i5-7400 processor and 8GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM drive powerful performance whether you're creating a presentation, streaming a movie, or multitasking
      •2TB hard drive offers generous storage for a substantial collection of software, games, videos, music, photos, and more
      •802.11ac Wi-Fi lets you connect to your wireless home network with fast wireless speeds for streaming and downloading
      •Bluetooth 4.1 makes it possible to wirelessly connect to a wide range of enabled devices, including headsets, keyboards, and mobile devise
      •10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet lets you establish a reliable, wired connection to your network and the internet for potentially faster data transfer speeds
      •Eight USB ports (2 front and 6 back) let you connect a wide range of devices to expand your system, sync or transfer data, charge electronics, and more
      •HDMI output lets you connect to compatible displays, including your HDTV for supersize entertainment
      •SonicMaster audio uses optimized hardware and software to deliver powerful sound with significant bass for an unrivaled audio experience
      •ASUS AudioWizard offers 5 selectable settings for music, movies, games, voice recording, and speech
      •ASUS Smart Cooling System reduces accumulation of dust and cuts down operating temperatures by up to 11.4 degrees C for a cooler, quieter computing experience
      •ASUS Q-Fan technology automatically regulates fan speeds based on system loads
      •This computer is quieter than a library when it's idle -- with a sound level of only 28dB
      •Features 16x DVD ROM drive and 6-in-1 card reader that supports SD, SDHC, MS, MS Pro, XD and MMC
      •Preloaded with Windows 10, which features a refined browser, improved Start menu, digital assistant with Cortana, universal Windows apps, and much more

What's in the Box?
      •Warranty Card
      • Power Cord
      • Quick Manual

Warranty:
      •Parts - 1 Year(s)
      •Labour - 1 Year(s)

Geek Squad Protection

We fix it or replace it.

Choose the coverage that’s right for you when you click Add to Cart.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:36:40 AM by Allan »

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:25:12 PM »
      Can't find an Asus computer that matches thse specs on the Best Buy website.  Can you post a link?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 06:16:23 AM »
      Found a site with additional specs:  http://abc-reviewasus.blogspot.com/2016/08/review-full-specification-asus-vivopc-k31cd.html

Looks like of the 8 USB ports, 4 are 2.x and 4 are 3.x so that's good.  It has gigabit Ethernet port.  The graphics is the weak point, as I said, but could be upgraded, if desired, since there is at least one slot open.  The power supply is on the weak side with a max rating of 300W.

The reason DVDs are falling by the wayside is that the main uses for DVDs in the past was for software delivery or movies.  Most software mfrs have gone to delivering software via website download and movies are mostly being streamed today so there isn't much of a demand for optical drives anymore.

Tinman2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 11:36:47 AM »
        thanks for all your help..