Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blinking orange light, comp won't boot. Help please  (Read 4706 times)

Seasons

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Blinking orange light, comp won't boot. Help please
    « on: November 08, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »
    Hi guys

I am wondering if anyone can help me please. I know nothing about computers, but have had my Dell Demension 5051 for over ten years. Running on windows XP.  The only reason I have not upgraded, is because I only ever use word, Picture it 7 and presto Page Manager. Obvious.y you guys know these the last two are now obsolete and I have heard will not work on new comps.

I simple cannot be without them and so desperately rely on this comp. a few months back, it would not boot and the signal push button start, which should go green and boot when pressed, started blinking continously orange. I turned it off and back on several times. But nothing. A couple of days later, by change I tired again and it booted. I removed everything I no longer need to an external drive, because I am aware I do not have a lot of memory. I ran a cleaning programme and CC cleaner, deleted all history.  The comp continued to work with no problem starting for a few months, then last week it started to blink orange again.

I have read and researched this problem and it all points to the errrr PSU unit. But I am confused as to why it comes on intermittently.  I have braved at 75 years old to remove the housing and the bios (I think) battery replacing it with a new one as it has never been changed. This made no difference.

I have removed all leads, plugs and power externally, I am not brave enough to touch the inside apart from the battery, and that frightened a few years from my limited life span!

So guys...I read quite a lot about this problem on here, but I did not see a problem like this, yes I covered the orange blinking light, but saw no mention of being able to get the comp to boot and wondered if mine was a different problem.....so

A....can anyone tell me why if it is the PSU why it works sometimes and not others. Today was the longest time it has taken to boot, almost 12 hours. The computer works perfect fly once booted.
    B...if it is the PSU, I assume this is the largest box thing, how do I know which one to buy to replace it and where is the best place to go.
    C....is there anyway, I can discover whilst the computer is on, what the problem is.

So sorry to,write so much, but thought it was best to give a clear picture with all the information one may need.

I am so hoping someone can help me..

Thank you all so much

Sea

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Blinking orange light, comp won't boot. Help please
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 11:26:07 PM »
    can anyone tell me why if it is the PSU why it works sometimes and not others.

Part of the Power Supply's Job is to tell the computer when it is delivering clean power. When a system starts up the Power supply is  supposed to hold off on that signal until the power delivery it provides is stable. Before this signal is received a motherboard keeps it's CPU in a constant reset loop. The intent is to prevent problems because running the CPU with wildly off voltages can cause undefined behaviour which could cause a variety of problems.

Post Beep codes or blinking code regarding the Power supply are usually either centered around various parts on the motherboard detecting power that is significantly out of range or the power supply not providing that signal.

Think of the issue not unlike a car that sometimes gives you trouble because of a bad starter. The starter needs replaced but sometimes the "bad" one can still get it to turnover and actually start. Sometimes accompanied with a lot of yelling and verbal abuse at the car but I don't think there is a connection between that and the car actually starting. (More research is needed.... :P)

I don't think you can really determine any problems from when the system is on and working. I'd suspect that perhaps there are some issues with the internal components of the power supply that cause it to have troubles "getting up in the morning" which is relatively common as certain electronics age.

I think you've identified the power supply correctly within the system. It would be the larger "box" where the power cord from the wall plugs in. (There is usually a 115/240v type switch on it as well).

The Dell Dimension 5000 uses a standard ATX Power supply. You should be able to get a replacement from any computer repair shop or even a larger computer superstore. Some good brands include Corsair, EVGA, and Seasonic. I doubt the wattage rating will be of particular concern- that is something you may be asked about. the standard power supply for the system is around 300 watts and they don't even really make them that "low" these days so a good 400 Watt supply should be sufficient for your needs.

You should be able to replace the Power supply on your own but of course you can usually find places which provide that service. It's about what you might expect- you unplug the power supply connections from everywhere in the system, unscrew the power supply and remove it, and put the new one in and then connect the same types of cords from the new supply to all the connections on the motherboard that had connections (Just don't make the common mistake of thinking everything has to be plugged in somewhere!).
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 04:16:16 AM »
    The  Dell Dimension  desktop computers can be found on eBay in good condition for about $100 and even less. A Dell power supply, used, for your model is about $20 pr less.

You just might consider getting a refurbished Dell from eBay. Then your old machine would be a source of spare parts. Some vendors offer warranties.

Of relevance:
    The Dell Dimension series was a line of home and business desktop computers manufactured by Dell. In 2007, the Dimension series was discontinued and replaced with the for low-end models and the Dell Studio series for higher-end models.

The last high-end computers to be released under the Dimension line were the 9200 and 9200c (XPS 410 and XPS 210 in the American market, respectively). The E520, E521 and C521 were re-introduced under the Inspiron line under the names Inspiron 530, 531, 530s and 531s, with a revised case design.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Dimension

So if you buy an old Dell of that same model line, you would be getting a ten-year old computer. You might want to try a model in the  Dell Inspiron series
    Just a thought.   :)

EDIT: Here is a link to a eBay item that might be  of interest.

Dell 530 on eBay.

Notice thata one year protection costs about $20. That sounds kind of high to me.

Seasons

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:13:40 AM »
      BC_ Programmer......Thank you so much for your indepth and clear response. I did find parts extremely amusing. I have researched this and have also come back with a 2 beeps and blinking lights me a memory or ram problem, but no instructions on how to fit it, if I cannot get the thing to boot again, there is little hope.

I am going with you and will purchase a new unit and hopefully that will fix the problem. Not sure I can do it myself, but hey I will give it a go.

Many thanks once again
      Sea x

Seasons

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 06:17:14 AM »

Thank you for your reply...I completely understand about getting a new computer, but I cannot find the discs for the programmes I need and so really need to maintain this one. Unless there is a way of getting the program's off this old comp and putting on a similar working model.
        I am useless with computers...many thanks for your response and advice.

Sea

The  Dell Dimension  desktop computers can be found on eBay in good condition for about $100 and even less. A Dell power supply, used, for your model is about $20 pr less.

You just might consider getting a refurbished Dell from eBay. Then your old machine would be a source of spare parts. Some vendors offer warranties.

Of relevance:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Dimension

So if you buy an old Dell of that same model line, you would be getting a ten-year old computer. You might want to try a model in the  Dell Inspiron series
        Just a thought.   :)

EDIT: Here is a link to a eBay item that might be  of interest.

Dell 530 on eBay.

Notice thata one year protection costs about $20. That sounds kind of high to me.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 11:02:33 AM »
        aBOUT DATA TRANSFER.
        About data transfer.
        The user data, the things you have made, can be transferred from one computer to another.
        Most programs to not allow easy transfer from one computer  to another. This is because of copyright laws.
        The hard drive in your computer can be removed and read with an external USB adapter and power supply kit. Such are sold by Amazon and others.
        Here is one:
        https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=USB+DRIVE+ADPATER

There are some programs that are free to use, but not resell.   Some of these are nearly equivalent to Microsoft Office or other tools often used by computer users. One of these could read your documents and photos and other things lyour have created.