Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what should I transfer from my old Win7 to Win10  (Read 3131 times)

pursuant

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    what should I transfer from my old Win7 to Win10
    « on: November 21, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »
    I am getting a new pc with Win10 on it and want to transfer important files to it from my win7. I have copies of my pictures and music and documents but what else is important to transfer? Settings? profiles?
    Also the easiest way to do this is? I see win10 no longer has the easy transfer function and MS seems to want you to use LapLink.
    I have an external Drive that houses my pic/music, what else should I put on it?

Thanks

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: what should I transfer from my old Win7 to Win10
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »
    Personally, I only care about the data (pics, music, docs, etc...).  In more than 30 years of moving from old computers to new computers I have never bothered with trying to transfer settings, profiles or installed software.  I like to start out fresh with a new computer with a fresh install of the OS and software.  Others may feel differently but that's the way I've always done it.

pursuant

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »
      Thanks, I like that idea too. I just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:57:11 AM »
      Couldn't agree more with strollin...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:38:49 PM »
      about the only thing I would add would be your browser settings, and emails/contacts.
      obviously if your email client is web based, you can ignore that.
      as to browser settings, I refer to bookmarks, passwords, history, and the such.
      if you want them, go to your relevant browser profile folder, sort the list by descending date and the ones you want will be the top most few (changes slightly depending on your browser)

Cleof

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 01:36:45 AM »
        Technically, everything you need except for operating system.
        After you back to Windows 7, settings can be reconfigure yet the files you created cannot.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 08:41:55 PM »
          Windows 10 can still use Windows Easy Transfer from Windows 7. If you put easy transfer onto the external drive and then run it from there on windows 10 it will transfer from a windows 10 to windows 10 or other versions of windows from 7 up, to Win 10.
          Also I would download a password recovery tool and printout passwords stored in browsers, your email settings and passwords. Nirsoft has free tools for this.
          I would backup my email using kls mail backup for restore to the new computer.
          A product key finder is also handy if you have software you will need to reload.