Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC build advice  (Read 2114 times)

NoGoodNames

PC build advice
« on: December 04, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »
Just a quick backstory (feel free not to read). Buying a computer has been an incredibly daunting experience for me. After I saved up enough money, I spent a lot of time researching the best laptop for me and went with the Dell XPS 15 9560 UHD, refurbished at $2239 AUD from ebay. It was the cheapest I could find, MSRP going at about $3000. Contrary to reviews on refurbished products, it turned out to be loaded with defects and the warranty was inactive. I then bought the same thing from Dell, but it had a hardware issue that made is basically unusable. Since then, I've felt overwhelmed and I felt like I've really had it.

Everyone on the internet is pointing towards building a PC, so that's what I'm inquiring about. I have a fair amount of general knowledge of computer parts but not enough to know exactly what I'm doing when it comes to building my own PC, especially with compatibility. I'd like some general advice but also suggestions as to the parts I should get, and advice when it comes to compatibility. The biggest thing I'd like to know is how much it would all cost roughly, but I know that would depend greatly and it could be hard to calculate considering I'm in Australia. The only reason I'm thinking of building my own PC is because it's cheaper. Other benefits are just a bonus. That's why I initially went for a laptop.

Budget: I have $3500 AUD to spend, but it would be unrealistic to spend that much. I think $2000 - $2,500 is more than good enough.

What I'll be using it for;
  • General purpose.
  • Graphic designing (nothing too intensive, just for study).
  • Light to moderate gaming. Better specs are a bonus, but not a necessity. I'm new to PC gaming, and I'm not certain I will even enjoy it over console, so it's a bit of a risk, that's why I'm not going for a gaming computer.
  • Music production, maybe. It's something I've wanted to do for a decade but never got around to.

What I'm looking for in a PC build;
  • Build quality, good service for parts and warranties.
  • i7 (8th or 7th gen), 16GB RAM, SSD (128GB or above), 1060 GTX or above.
  • 4k monitor, medium size (21 - 27''). Stability is a bonus.
  • Quality keyboard, flat (NOT mechanical).

My reasons against building a PC (and ultimately what is delaying my decision) are as follows;
  • I don't need a customized and upgradable PC. I don't need ridiculous performance, I most likely will not need to upgrade anything and I don't have specialized requirements for what I do. In fact, a mid priced laptop would be sufficient for my needs. That said, need and want are two different things.
  • I'm extremely indecisive and careful when spending money. I'll walk into a shoe store several times a week for a month before deciding on a pair of $60 shoes. Salesmen hate me.
  • I'm not too tech savvy. I have some general knowledge, but it would still be difficult, I think.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:26:25 PM by NoGoodNames »