Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: TP LINK  (Read 3433 times)

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    TP LINK
    « on: December 11, 2017, 08:55:44 AM »
    i have just acquired a brand new pair of tp link. plugs.on the box it as tl-pa4020p kit.i have googled this ,but dont understand what it is supposed to do.is it something i can use.any help would be appreciated.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: TP LINK
    « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 11:03:35 AM »
    It allows turning your home wiring into a means for network communications, but this technology is not perfect. It might work in some buildings and homes and not other etc. I have seen nothing but troubles with these devices. It seems like the ones that did sort of work had to be on the same leg of the building so if you have another room that is fed power from a different 120VAC leg then it might not work so well or not at all. If the other room where the paired device is to be plugged in is on the same leg on your service then it might work ok or might be spotty where it works and then acts up without warning.

These devices are for people looking for a way to pass a network connection from one room to and send it to another like a communication bridge. If you got these for free the prior owner might have thrown them away because they didnt have success with them.  ;D

I'd avoid using them unless you have an application that really needs to use them. Secure Wireless Networking is the way to go or hard wire Cat5 or Cat6 to a switch connected to internet connection that offers network connections to multiple rooms etc.  :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 12:31:47 PM »
    Each one plugs into an AC outlet and has an RJ45 (ethernet) socket. You use them when you don't want to string a long ethernet cable between 2 places in your house. I think they work better in British houses, where we have a ring circuit, rather than some other countries where they have separate branch circuits. I have a pair of these to connect our smart TV to the cable modem/router, because my wife said "no" to a long ethernet cable. Also cheaper than the Samsung wi-fi adapter needed for the TV. They have worked fine for 5 years. I can stream 1080p video from my NAS DLNA server to the TV without any buffering or stuttering. From time to time one or other goes to sleep and you have to power cycle it, I would say this has happened 2 or 3 times in 5 years.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:44:28 PM »
    my personal experience, having come across them a few times, is if possible, use something else.
    their attraction in theory is 'plug and play' but in practice they can be difficult to setup and high maintenance.
    I use the same philosophy with these devices as I do wifi, if possible go ethernet, but if you can't, alright give them a go.

I think Salmon is right, it depends largely on how the home is wired.

they were popular a few years ago, before the latest gen of dual and tri-band routers that have far superior coverage and penetration, elimination the need for these devices.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:51:02 PM »
    my personal experience, having come across them a few times, is if possible, use something else.
    their attraction in theory is 'plug and play' but in practice they can be difficult to setup and high maintenance.
    My experience has been the complete, exact opposite. You have to 'pair' them when you first use them, that's it. Set and forget.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 01:57:23 PM »
    that's encouraging then, as for me, they have been 'problematic'.  :)
    I'd prefer the 'one box to rule them all' solution.
    spend some decent money on a high-end modem/router and have one unit cover all the house (obviously not possible for every situation).

just go into the exercise knowing all the pro's and cons I guess @ivanoe.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 02:16:49 PM »
    A guy at work has 6 in his house and they all seem to work fine. To me that is a situation crying out for wi-fi and a decent router. My use of powerline adapters was specifically for the TV because 1. ethernet was ruled out for appearance reasons 2. A wi-fi adapter for the TV was too expensive. As you say, these days wi-fi is what people choose.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 02:19:33 PM »
    they were popular a few years ago, before the latest gen of dual and tri-band routers that have far superior coverage and penetration, elimination the need for these devices.
    This. Absolutely. My new PVR has wireless and a DLNA client, so I could ditch the powerline adapters, except the PVR won't do subtitles (the TV will), and we watch a lot of European arthouse movies in mkv format with srt subtitle files. (Don't ask.)

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 08:52:20 PM »
    Ah, there's always an exception to the rule.  ;D
    time for a new PVR ???

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 12:25:55 AM »
    time for a new PVR ???
    I only bought it 3 months ago. Anyhow, the TPlinks work fine.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 03:09:38 AM »
      THANKS TO YOU ALL. SALMON TROUT/MARK DAVELAMBKE.  i think you are all probably right,i should leave them alone.
      i will leave them boxed up in the garage.

once again Thanks and have a great Christmas.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
      Well if your not going to use them you could always sell them. I dont keep stuff unless I see a future need for it. I sell or give away stuff I dont see a future need for that otherwise isnt a collectable etc.  :)