Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Kali Linux on Virtual Box  (Read 2781 times)

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Installing Kali Linux on Virtual Box
    « on: December 16, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »
    I have looked on Virtual box forums for the answer. I have a new Dell laptop with W10 64 bit. I followed the instructions for making a bootable usb with Kali Linux installed. I used Windows 32 disk manager to make the usb bootable. After the operation was completed a message box popped up to say that the usb was verified. I am trying to install Kali Linux on Virtual Box. When I plug in the usb there is a message pops up stating the disk needs formatted. Did the usb not get made properly

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Installing Kali Linux on Virtual Box
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 11:33:47 PM »
    Maybe he USB was not done right. The format must be  NTFS or  FAT32.

Perhaps somebody will have the specific answer you want.  Sorry, I don't have the exact answer. But here are ssome thoughts.

Would you like to tray another vrsion of Linux?
    The Ubuntu people have a lot of users and they have ery active forums. You could ask them how they run a current version of Ubuntu Linux on a Windows 10.

By the way, some linux usres are using a new feature in a special version of Windows 10. It is a developer verson.

Here is a story abouth that.

https://www.infoworld.com/article/3053557/linux/what-to-know-before-using-windows-10s-new-linux-system.html

Also:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-run-run-the-native-ubuntu-desktop-on-windows-10/

Maybe this is of some help.  :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 02:05:59 AM »
    When I plug in the usb there is a message pops up stating the disk needs formatted. Did the usb not get made properly
    If the USB is formatted with a Linux filesystem, Windows won't recognise it and ask if you want to format it. Anyhow, you should be attaching it to a VirtualBox virtual machine. If you did, Windows wouldn't see it. Anyhow, why don't you just attach the Kali Linux ISO to the VM as a virtual optical drive? That's the normal way to install an OS to a VM.

Or download a ready made Kali virtual machine image from here

https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux-vmware-virtualbox-image-download/

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 07:20:36 AM »
      I downloaded the file using torrex and installed it. I had to disable usb control in the settings to get the Linux OS to open. It said I needed an extension pack installed. I went to the Virtual box website and clicked on their link for the extension pack. I got an error message 404 (not available). I didn't plan on using any usb items anyway. Thanks for the help.