Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I get Thumbnails in Windows 10?  (Read 3042 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How can I get Thumbnails in Windows 10?
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »
When online, I need to upload some photos or artwork to my web page. But in Windows 10 I can not see any thumbnail view and I have to try and remember the name of the photo or graphic I want.  :'(

That is on of the main reasons I still use Windows XP.  For  me, Windows 10 is a retro back to the days of console input. I can not see anything graphic. Maybe I am missing something. There must be some way to see a thumbnail view of all the files in my media directories. Right?  :)

So, my question is, how can a make Windows 10 into a real Graphical User Interface?
Specifically, How can I see a little thumbnail for each image in a directory?

I tried Google and all I got was a reference to Expression 2, which in not included in Windows 10. Or is it?  ???
EDIT This was found.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/176882/how-to-enable-the-thumbnail-view-for-folders-in-windows-explorer
But I don't understand it.    :-[

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Re: How can I get Thumbnails in Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 02:57:58 PM »
It depends on what dialog is being used to display the files for upload.  For instance, if I use the file upload feature of this forum, I get the dialog shown below and can easily display images by selecting from the dialog settings.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »
So, my question is, how can a make Windows 10 into a real Graphical User Interface?
Specifically, How can I see a little thumbnail for each image in a directory?

In File Explorer, go to the folder with your images, then along the top menu of File, Home, Share etc, click View and pick one of the icon views.
is this what you were chasing?

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 06:54:25 PM »
In File Explorer, go to the folder with your images, then along the top menu of File, Home, Share etc, click View and pick one of the icon views.
is this what you were chasing?
Yes, I never get any thumbnails.  Instead, just an icon that represents a generic picture, but never a thumbnail of the image itself. What am I missing?

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »
Strollin,
Your screen shot helped. I never got there, so I started to think about what I have changed. I recall that I set up best performance rather that the default settingfs. Changed it and the thumbnails now show.
Thinks for helping.  :D