Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to determine if harddrive is going bad  (Read 2491 times)

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    How to determine if harddrive is going bad
    « on: December 16, 2005, 02:13:10 PM »
    I've been having a lot of corrupted files the past week on my 30 gig Western Digital HDD.  It's a little over 5 years old.  I have Windows XP Pro.  The HDD is partioned 4 times.  The first partion is the Operating System.  2 of the partions are backups of the Operating System.  The fourth is a data partion for SageTV 2.0.  I partion with PQMagic 8.1 with the patch.  

I have a second 400 Gig Seagate HDD, about 6 months old, that is partioned many times.  Most of the partions are for data and 1 is for a backup of the Op Sys.

Windows notifies me with the balloon window about a corrupted file.  I run chkdsk and all is well for a couple days.  Then I receive another warning from Windows.  This has been hapening for a little over a week.  Sometimes it finds one corrupt file, sometimes as many as 10.  Some of the files that become corrupt I haven't accessed in months.  Most of the errors have been on the smaller HDD.  The larger HDD has had 1 warning that had approximately 10 bad files.

What can I do to check if the HDD is going bad?  What could be other problems?  Could my mother or memory be going bad?  Could it be overheating?  Because the problem has occured on both HDD's, it leads me to believe it may be the Mobo or memory.  I have memory check utilites.  Is there a Mobo utility?  Could it be anything else?  Any help is appreciated.

GX1_Man

Re: How to determine if harddrive is going bad
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 03:45:25 PM »
    Run the diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer web site and let us know what you find.