Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I freeze during games and I therefore need your help.  (Read 2617 times)

Balthazar

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I freeze during games and I therefore need your help.
    « on: January 07, 2018, 06:28:55 PM »
    Hello,

Some time ago I brought my PC to a technician because it would not boot at all, when I pressed the power button the components turned on but nothing was actually displayed on my screen. He told me the motherboard was shorting because I had badly installed it in my case, and my CPU wasn't correctly installed either. After I installed it back home I decided to make a fresh start and reinstalled windows. Everything was fine until I noticed my computer froze once or maybe twice when I was installing some programs, I didn't mind at the time, but since I installed some games I noticed my computer was freezing after a few minutes in game.

I started looking for fixes and found this: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-windows-10-freezes-locks-up-randomly-easily/

So I tried:

-Updating my drivers: everything is up to date, even my BIOS.

-Running a memory check: no errors.

-Resetting my virtual memory: nothing.

-Checked my hard drives: no errors.

-Running a system file checker: everything is fine.

-Disabling C-states: actually worsened the situation, I couldn't get to my OS (maybe froze between the BIOS loading thingy and the OS showing).

I came to the conclusion that my hardware was actually at fault, but I can't be sure as when I monitor my hardware with HWMonitor I can't see anything suspicious: temperatures are normal, fans are spinning etc. But my pc keeps freezing (and I mean freezing, no shutting down, no reboot, just my screen displaying the same frame forever without sound or any component shutting down either) after a few minutes in games and even on windows sometime when I was moving some folders through my hard drives if that means anything. I have read somewhere that it could be my crappy PSU, but it could be that my motherboard is still shorting I guess. I haven't considered my GPU or CPU being responsible as they both run pretty normally and are of good quality unlike my PSU.

I'll write down my specs, help me please, I could buy a new PSU myself but I'd rather not throw 100€ on a PSU if I'm not sure it is responsible.

- MB: MSI Gaming 970
    - CPU: AMD fx-9590
    - RAM: 8 Gb DDR3
    - GPU: GTX 970
    - PSU: Xilence 600W
    - HD: SSD 120g (My OS), SATA 500g (If i recall correctly)

No, english is not my first language, also, I can provide more precise infos about my rig if necessary.

PS: Tomorrow I'll try powering my GPU with my 600W PSU only and the rest of the components with a spare PSU, stop me now if you think it's a bad idea. I will also run a benchmark.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      Re: I freeze during games and I therefore need your help.
      « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
      Hi

A check of your motherboard and CPU shows that the motherboard doesn't support 200 watt and above CPU's.
      Your CPU is 220 Watts so will be having all sorts of problems.   
      Perhaps either a lower wattage CPU, which is on the motherboard list.
      Or a motherboard/CPU upgrade.  :)

Justin_Time

Rookie

• Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      Re: I freeze during games and I therefore need your help.
      « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »
      If you want to use it for gaming I would upgrade the motherboard rather than downgrading the CPU. If you want to stick with an AMD maybe check out a Ryzen.
      Helping others is a great way to make some else's life happier and make you feel good about yourself.