Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring between Windows & Mac "don't have permission to see contents"  (Read 9331 times)

pokerjk

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi,

I am transferring some files from an old windows laptop to my Macbook via an external harddrive.

When I try to open the folder on my Macbook I get the message "The folder "xyz" can't be opened because you don't have permission to see its contents".

I've trying going to get info > sharing and permissions and it says "You have custom access" so nothing I can change.

I guess it's some settings I have to change on my windows laptop before transferring to the external HD?

Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Try connecting it to another Windows system first and see if you then have access to the data. One brute force method of access would involve a system with Linux running, but you would need a PC with Windows or Linux to try both. From the mac computer itself, I have doubts that there is a way around this. I find Apple products frustrating when it comes to certain things before they give you enough access to get by but not enough to feel like an admin that can take control of stuff like data permissions.