Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to create a digital signature for the WIN10 x64 driver?  (Read 5299 times)

HUK87

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    How to create a digital signature for the WIN10 x64 driver?
    « on: February 14, 2018, 06:46:19 AM »
    Hello forum!
    I have a device from a silicone developer and WIN10x64. With this device comes the driver with a good digital signature. But I need to rename the device name "silicone cp210x" to my name "Example" in the device's installation driver. I'm using a utility - CustomUSBDriverWizard.exe to create a renamed installation driver, but the installer is created without a digital signature ".cat" file. Is there a way to create my digital signature for Windows or to adapt the driver certificate for the name of the "silicone cp210x" for my name  "Example"?
    Disable digital signature verification or contact Microsoft for the digital signature of the driver with my name - these options do not need me. Perhaps there is a program for editing digital signatures of drivers or creating new digital signatures based on an inf. and sys. file?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to create a digital signature for the WIN10 x64 driver?
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:22:31 AM »
    What you want to do I dont believe can be achieved freely. I'm pretty sure the altered name driver would have to go before Microsoft to be added to the digitally signed driver database, so that its recognized by Windows on all Windows systems for whichever OS versions it supports. Digital signatures indicate that the driver has been tested and approved for that OS.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How to create a digital signature for the WIN10 x64 driver?
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 12:19:27 PM »
    The entire purpose of digital signatures is to validate that the thing that they sign has not been altered since it had been signed.

If you want to sign it, you need to pay for an authenticode signing certificate and sign the driver package yourself.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.