Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell DoorBuster Server Deal .... I missed out and here is why  (Read 2317 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Dell DoorBuster Server Deal .... I missed out and here is why
« on: February 19, 2018, 01:23:29 PM »
So I read in the newspaper earlier today that Dell was having a Doorbuster Deal starting at 11am ET on 2/19 ( Today )

Well I contacted Dell to inquire about this at 9:54am ET and was told it would be available for purchase after 11am. No warning of how much time you have to make purchase of one.

The Server is the Dell PowerEdge T30 with a Xeon E3-1225 V5 3.3Ghz Quadcore with 8MB Cache with 8GB DDR4 and a 1TB SATA3 Hard Drive and it was listed as a savings of $409 normal price of $708 and available for $299 at 11am ET.

Well I went to go make purchase of one and well thats when i found out that its more of a early bird gets the worm lottery. You need to call right at 11am and be lucky to get one before supplies run out. I inquired at 2:50pm because I got busy at work and was going to see if I could still get one, and thats when i found out the real deal about this in which you needed to call them right at 11am and while everyone else calls for one of these you may or may not get one.

Below is chat log. They were happy to sell me one at sale price of $549 but thats not what i wanted to pay.  ::)
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/servers-storage-and-networking/poweredge-t30-mini-tower-server/spd/poweredge-t30/pet30_12084_3

I will just keep running what I have. They do have a Pentium dual core server for $349 but that CPU is too weak for my needs. I was really hoping on getting a modern Xeon quadcore at a good deal.  :'(

Customer Dave    
Initial Question/Comment: 2_184

System    
You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat

System    
Connected with Garshakuntha_Naresh

Agent     Garshakuntha_Naresh    
Welcome to Dell  US Small Office Chat. My name is Naresh and I will be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert.You can now chat with us 7 days a week!. I can be reached at [email protected] or via phone at 1-800-289-3355 ext. 4161557.
How can I help you today?

Dave    
Hello... I am trying to locate a deal i found in NY Daily News where there is a Presidents Day Sale and it has listed a Dell PowerEdge T30 Server with Xeon E3-1225 v5 CPU for $299.00 with free shipping. Online when i went to make my purchase it has the Xeon Server listed for $549.00. Its referenced as PET30_12084_3SE

Glad you chatted in today, I'd be happy to help you

The deal has already expired however it is still available to purchase @ $549 plus tax

Dave    
Online it has a weaker Pentium CPU system for $349 but no offering of this Xeon CPU server for $299 on a 2/19 Doorbuster Sale

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/deals/poweredge-tower-server-deals?~ck=mn

Above is the web link of the ongoing server deals

Dave    
How much time did customers have after 11am to make this purchase, because I dont see the rules listed as to how long the sale was active for?

As this are at discounted prices, the deal would complete within minutes, sometimes within a minute itself

Dave    
ok so it was more of a calling lottery as to if you actually get one then?

You could say that, most of customers would be waiting for Door buster deal to start, they will some time be ready online 15 to 20 minutes prior to the deal starts

Dave    
ok... thats too bad because I really hoped to replace an older server i have but at $549 I might as well keep running the old HP Server. Thank You for your time. Next time I guess i will have to call right at 11am

Sorry about missing the opportunity and I would say to be ready by at least 10 minutes prior to the deal starts

Dave    
ok thank you... have a good day

Coco423

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
Re: Dell DoorBuster Server Deal .... I missed out and here is why
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 01:55:26 PM »
Wish I had read the newspaper. My laptop is not booting now as of yesterday.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »
Wish I had read the newspaper. My laptop is not booting now as of yesterday.
Time to knock off the nonsense posts. This is a support forum, not a playground. Thank you.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:51:53 PM »
One way of looking at it, Dave, is that you saved $299. Probably not much consolation though,  that would have been a good deal.

I'm always looking for good deals on old stuff, but nowadays people want princely sums for withered tech.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 06:02:21 PM »
Yeah I hear you with people wanting pricey sums for withered tech. I have been watching ebay for a few months now trying to grab up a decent server at a decent price but its been sort of a waste of time trying to find a good Xeon CPU server. I thought I found a good deal the one day but when I checked into what generation the Xeon CPU and chipset was it was sadly a Pentium D era Xeon.

A few years ago I saw a neat hack to get a socket 771 to work in a socket 775 with a pad/pin reroute strip in which the Xeon CPU itself without the Server box was cheap, but when I looked into doing this I saw mixed results with some people saying that their BIOS supported it and others with troubles. More info here on that trick/mod: https://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

Years ago I would just find a server class motherboard with two Pentium II or Pentium III's and run that. But ever since the server class processors being a different socket than standard computers you don't find dual socket boards anymore that can run desktop class processors with teamed processing power. Seems like ever since the Pentium 4 era Intel and AMD ran off with server class processors specific for server class main boards.

The HP Server I have I haven't powered it lately because its performance to power consumption ratio is weak. When I first got it for free I thought I could replace the dual dual-core Opteron 2216 2.4Ghz with the better Quadcore Opteron 2384 2.7Ghz which also has more cache. This way the server would have 8-cores and around the same power consumption as the original server with far better processing power. Sadly when checking into the motherboard of the server it didn't support this upgrade and only a faster clock dual-core was supported which wasn't worth the upgrade. It came with dual FX4600 NVidia video cards too, but those are good for CAD but not for gaming or crunching for BOINC etc. I removed those cards and put in a Geforce 9800 GT to drop its power consumption but its still too old for what I do.

Friend of mine told me that the single CPU Xeons are pretty decent and they are for power consumption  to processing power ratio and have been keeping my eye out for something that isn't too old and isn't too pricey. Been thinking a few times that maybe I could just get the main board with CPUs and install that into a modified tower to accept it but then you have power supply connections to main board that are non standard ( not ATX etc ) so its best to just get a complete server intended for the case that it was built for.

The other thing with buying used is that the shipping fees are up there since servers are generally heavy and bulky so $50 to $70 or more for shipping then the heavy prices that they are asking for decommissioned servers.  I feel I am probably going to end up buying a new server "with free shipping" but I need to be at the right place at the right time -or- maybe be lucky to get a better server for free that will take dual quadcores. :)