Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can any ports replace an Usb port on a laptop?  (Read 4799 times)

stanz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Can any ports replace an Usb port on a laptop?
    « on: February 19, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »
    Hello, recently all 3 of my USB died on my pc. I tried everything, but it is dead.

So I was wondering, is it possible that adapters with USB to ethernet, or USB to HDMI, or USB to mini-DisplayPort, or USB to sd card.

Can any of those read the USB device using an adapter?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can any ports replace an Usb port on a laptop?
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
    Stanz,
    Short answer, No.

What is the make and model of your laptop?
    What do you think made the USB ports go bad?
    Most often it is the cable. And sometimes the connector gets damaged. Bit replacing the connectors on a laptop is hard work.

What devices do you need connected to the laptop? Some devices can go wireless. Printers and mice can go witless.

Do you have another computer? Another PC  could share device over the network.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:55:54 PM »
    For a desktop computer you can install Add-on PCI-E cards that provide  additional USB ports.

For Laptops, if the laptop has an ExpressCard Slot, you can get similar ExpressCard adapters which provide USB Ports as well.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:50:35 PM »
    do they even make laptops with Expresscard slots these days?
    my second laptop, a HP, did but that would be the best part of 15 years ago.
    (it's long since gone but I still have the Expresscard modem card and a ethernet network card - why I've kept for I have no idea)

stanz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:12:43 AM »
      https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41aWPLdri5L._SX425_.jpg
      So something like this won't be able to read any USB data?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »
      That is specifically  for connecting certain USB Networking devices which already support it. It doesn't provide general USB capabilities via Ethernet.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

stanz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
        Stanz,
        Short answer, No.

What is the make and model of your laptop?
        What do you think made the USB ports go bad?
        Most often it is the cable. And sometimes the connector gets damaged. Bit replacing the connectors on a laptop is hard work.

What devices do you need connected to the laptop? Some devices can go wireless. Printers and mice can go witless.

Do you have another computer? Another PC  could share device over the network.
        Apparently, the chip controlling my USB devices is dead.
        so I am trying to find an alternative way to connect a USB device. My computer is at a dead stage where windows don't boot anymore, so I need a USB device to help it boot. That's why I am wondering if an adapter for any of those ports may work with a bootable USB device?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 12:29:23 PM »
        This is from dictation.
        From your post it was seen you have limited experience with repair of computer hardware. That's okay.
        Perhaps we need to alter the topic here it's not so much about just fixing the USB port but getting your computer to boot up into an operating system. So let's consider the operating system issue.
        If this is a recent model laptop, it should be easy to remove the hard drive from the laptop and slave it onto a desktop PC. Once connected to the desktop PC, you should be able to check the drive deceive its working all right and perhaps there is some clue as to why the operating system will not boot.
        Of course, if your hard drive has important information on it that you need, it might be best to get another hard drive you can use to do some testing on your laptop.
        Here is an overview of a technique that can be used.
        After moving the hard drive from the laptop you replace it with a spare hard drive that has been prepared on a desktop computer. There is some types of operating systems that can be placed on a hard drive without the need for a full installation. These would be systems such as Free DOS and some variants of Linux.
        Let's suppose he used one of the variance of Linux that can be placed on a hard drive with a full installation. The system would start up or boot in the console mode, which looks very much like a DOS based system.
        Once you're at that point you can start to install the complete Linux system which will then interrogate your hardware and find out which hardware devices are useful. If indeed you have a dead USB controller, it will show up as Linux attempts to identify your hardware.
        Of course, you probably have never done this before, so you need someone to help you out but this.
        It might be easier to try fFee DOS if you are more familiar with the system that behaves more like a Microsoft product. Free DOS can be placed on a hard drive and it can be made bootable by using a suitable utility.
        I'm getting kind of old and forgetful, so I don't remember all the ways this is done. But I do recall that back in the days of NT something like this was done in order to install NT on the system that did not have a bootable CD drive.
        If this sounds like something that would apply to you, or that you would be interested in pursuing, there are others here that could help you out.
        But first some questions. Are you able to get into the firmware area? That is, what used to be called the BIOS? If you can get there, it will show you what devices is able to find. If there is a bootable USB device available, it ought to be listed. Also, the hard drive will be listed even if it is not bootable but is readable.
        I hope this is possibly of some help to you.
        At this point I think it's premature to start buying additional hardware until you know what the problem really is.
        End of dictation.

stanz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 03:29:37 PM »

But first some questions. Are you able to get into the firmware area? That is, what used to be called the BIOS? If you can get there, it will show you what devices is able to find. If there is a bootable USB device available, it ought to be listed. Also, the hard drive will be listed even if it is not bootable but is readable.
          I hope this is possibly of some help to you.
          At this point I think it's premature to start buying additional hardware until you know what the problem really is.
          End of dictation.

Yes, I can get into the bios. I tried to plug my bootable USB into all 3 of those ports and none of them worked. It can detect a HHD and a SSD from what I can see.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 11:31:43 PM »
          stanz,
          It helps if you provide the make and model of the computer.

The BIOS features vary from by maker and by date. The BIOS should have some thing that shows the USB device is present.

Also, often a design has more than one USB controller.  It would help to know if you model has more than one USB controller.

What about a CD/DVD reader?

stanz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 02:36:26 AM »
            stanz,
            It helps if you provide the make and model of the computer.

The BIOS features vary from by maker and by date. The BIOS should have some thing that shows the USB device is present.

Also, often a design has more than one USB controller.  It would help to know if you model has more than one USB controller.

What about a CD/DVD reader?
            I do have more than one USB controller, but all 3 are dead. I think the internal USB controller must be broken or something like that.
            Moden laptops doesn't come with a DVD reader :(.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 10:48:51 AM »
            stanz,
            We still do not know the age nor make of your laptop.
            A few modern laptops have a special slot where you can install something other thatn a USB device..

You said it has a SSD? Is the SSD the boot device?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 03:14:28 PM »
            If a USB bootable Media does not work on all 3 ports then the controller is likely dead...

Take it to a shop and get a repair estimate and go from there...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 04:11:34 PM »
              It's quite likely a modern  computer with secure boot and eufi enabled will not boot from USB.
              I would try a USB  Keyboard or mouse plugged into the usb ports do they light up? In the bios with a usb mouse or keyboard can you move around the menu's if so then the ports are not faulty.
              Are the usb ports enabled in the bios. If the ports check out with  mouse or keyboard then you may need to either turn off secure boot or get a pen drive set up to boot in eufi mode.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 04:29:13 PM »
              Even if secure boot and UEFI are in place booting to USB is still active...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 07:08:04 PM »
              Many, or most, computers now come with boot options disabled. You have to work hard to get a PC to boot up from anything other than the hard drive. Well, that is what it sounds like to me after reading this item from a MS forum.

Disabling Secure Boot
              You may need to disable Secure Boot to run some PC graphics cards, hardware, or operating systems such as Linux or previous version of Windows.
              Secure Boot helps to make sure that your PC boots using only firmware that is trusted by the manufacturer. You can disable Secure Boot through the PC’s firmware (BIOS) menus, but the way you disable it varies by PC manufacturer. If you are having trouble disabling Secure Boot after following the steps below, contact your manufacturer for help.
              That might indicate why the OP is having trouble with USB boot. Or maybe not.