Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A Shout-Out to Microsoft  (Read 3016 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
A Shout-Out to Microsoft
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:57:46 PM »
I really have no idea where to post this, but they seem to have fixed an issue that - while not a bug, has been most vexing to me.

I had to rename some folders, and move some files and folders around. But then when I went to Word's "Recently Used File List" and selected the file... It took a second... And found it automatically in its new location.

That's pretty solid.

It comes with some caveats, as far as I can tell:
* It only works with OneDrive files
* OneDrive needs to finish all its syncing
* Excel is hinkey - it depends if it looks locally or on the cloud first... Which is an issue I've yet to get to be consistent

So it's a minor victory, I guess. But it's always annoyed me that "Recently Used Files" is really just "Files Used Recently That Are Left Exactly Where You Saved Them and Have Never Been Touched Any Other Way".

OK, really minor.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: A Shout-Out to Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:07:40 PM »
OK, really minor
Exactly.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:35:54 PM »
I don't think it's really finding it in a new location. What I suspect happened is MS increased Office's integration with Onedrive so that it will try to index recently used Onedrive files by a unique identifier that Onedrive generates rather than a file path.

This doesn't seem to have done anything for Office 2013 or Office 2016, so I presume this is Office 365 only.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:35:05 AM »
Is this what they call "cognitive dissonance"?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.