Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shazam for PC?  (Read 3271 times)

jimbiggs

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Shazam for PC?
    « on: February 27, 2018, 10:29:13 AM »
    Hello,

Here’s my brief backstory:  I’ve been confined to a wheelchair and unable to speak since suffering a stroke in 2006.  It left me with enough capability to operate a laptop computer, which I use all day, every day. 

Problem:  Since I can’t speak, I don’t even own a cellphone, much less a smartphone.  My wife has a Galaxy S5, on which she has the ‘Shazam’ app loaded.  It’s great!  We use it fairly often to identify songs we hear on the radio, on TV, etc.  The problem is that I have to rely on her presence and it involves me asking her to drop everything and look up a particular song quickly before it quits playing.  Whereas I’d like to just be able to look up a song myself with my computer.  I google’ed around the internet looking for a ‘Shazam-like’  program for my PC for about an hour, but came up empty-handed. 

Question:  Does anyone know if there is something like this out there that is for a PC and NOT a smartphone? 

Thanks,

Jim B. 

Salmon Trout

Re: Shazam for PC?
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 02:22:20 PM »
    Shazam for PC was discontinued in 2017. You can still find sites that appear to offer it, by doing a Google search, but Google Chrome blocks them all on my system, saying they are potential malware sites. If you have Windows 10, Cortana has a music recognition system, although I have not tried it. This is how I saw its use described: "Tap Cortana and then the little music icon, or just say "hey Cortana, what's playing?" (or "what's this song" or "who sings this song", etc.)". Of course this presumes you have a system 1. running Windows 10, 2. with a functioning microphone. There is a Windows app called Soundhound that may be worth checking out.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 02:28:59 PM »
    Of course this presumes you have a system 1. running Windows 10, 2. with a functioning microphone.
    and 3. The ability to speak
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 03:55:08 PM »
    and 3. The ability to speak
    I meant so the microphone can pick up the song. I should have omitted the speech command to Cortana. That was thoughtless. I do apologise. According to this site, it can be done with the mouse...

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/identify-song-cortana-windows-10/

...you can launch Cortana, then click the musical note icon in the top right (similar to tapping the musical note icon that appears in Google Now). Apart from identifying songs, this icon also saves a list of your previous musical searches. Once Cortana identifies the song, which usually takes about three to six seconds, you’ll see its name, album, and artist.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru