Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disable Internet Connection  (Read 2347 times)

hpott3r

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Disable Internet Connection
    « on: March 07, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
    Good day everyone!

I would like to ask if it's possible to disable the internet connection and still keep the network line.

I am planning to conduct a quiz to my students and I would like to disconnect the internet connection but I want to retain the printing functionality since our printer is wirelessly connected to the network. Our PCs are using Windows 7 OS.

Please share the steps.

Thank you.

craze1337

• Experience: Expert
      Re: Disable Internet Connection
      « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »
      The easiest way would be if you're able to just shut off the modem and leave the router running, but I'm guessing that isn't an option in a standard school-sort-of-setup that I'm picturing.  I'm envisioning you in a classroom just using a big building's wifi.

Are they student-owned computers? Or do you run them? If you are the system administrator, you could edit the route file in Windows, which could hamstring the systems to just LAN.  It's kind of complicated to explain and time consuming to go around to all the computers and do, so I will only type out these instructions if that sounds like your preferred solution.

The easiest thing to do might actually be to get an old wifi router from a thrift store, they run about $5 or $10 now.  Reconnect your printer to that.  But I'm not sure how you'd know if a student briefly flipped back over to the wifi with internet.

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Disable Internet Connection
      « Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 02:04:59 AM »
      the normal, home user, quick answer is Yes, just pull the phone line from the modem.
      no internet but still full LAN services.

but in your case it sounds like the real question is "can I kill the internet for just my classroom" and to that the answer is No.
      at least not without getting the IT Dept all in a tither if you start bringing in your own hardware, setting up wifi networks, reconfiguring printers etc., then putting everything back the way it was.

if you describe your setup in more detail that may help.