Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Acer Switch Alpha 12 - More Power Needed  (Read 2584 times)

capper

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Acer Switch Alpha 12 - More Power Needed
    « on: March 07, 2018, 11:31:13 AM »
    I bought an Acer Switch Alpha 12 last summer and really like it.  The only issue is that the battery life is very limited.  I will be traveling for a couple of weeks and not have access to plug it very often during my travels.  What would be the best way to increase my usability?  Should I buy an external power source or an extra battery for the unit?  If I buy an external power source, what kind is recommended?  If I go the battery route, I have no idea how to take out the current one and replace it!  THANKS.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Acer Switch Alpha 12 - More Power Needed
      « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 03:11:22 PM »
      Hi capper.

Seems the Acer with  power a very tight power profile will  run 5 hours , So that would be no blue tooth, wireless on demand, anti virus turned off and all services not needed disabled.
      The battery is not switch able , meaning you need to dismantle the unit to swap the battery.
      You would need another charger to recharge the battery like a 12V to 19V adapter if you had access to a car 12v system.
      Is this sounding really hard ?
      If so it maybe better to get a tablet with say a 10 hour battery life which can charge from a usb external charger a medium size unit would give 3 charges so about 40 hours tablet use.
      Some things to consider.
      Lenovo tablet    https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/android-tablets/tab-4-series/Lenovo-TB-X304/p/ZZITZTATB0X
      Power bank https://www.easyacc.com/media-center/how-to-choose-power-bank-for-your-phone-and-tablet/

If this was at all help full please use the thank you option 

capper

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
        I will thank you personally!   Very helpful.   I don't want to buy another laptop or tablet as I already have a fairly new larger one in addition to the 12-inch alpha.  As far as power banks go, there are many brands with various amounts of power. Which would be my best bang for the money?  One that I could also use with other devices...

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »
          Unfortunately the power banks only output 5V which is not suitable to charge the Acer . You need 19 V to charge the Acer so either keep charging using the adapter supplied or there is a 12V to 19V charger for use in cars available.