Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Samsung TV being used as monitor via HDMI - suddenly changed resolution itself?  (Read 3905 times)

xpreshun

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi guys, I have searched and found the "Black borders on side of screen" help topic but no joy. I wondered if I could get some help.

I've been using this TV for a couple of years as a monitor for my PC as well as display for my Xbox with no problems, with the full display being used and sized correctly for 1366x768 all using HDMI connections. For some reason as I was just running Football Manager, I turned around for a second, turned back and my screen had changed resolution to show the black 3 inches or so at each side.

However the FM2014 game and Windows (7, Ultimate) seem to think the resolution is still set at 1366 x 768? I have just uninstalled the Nvidia driver and reinstalled to no effect, tried the stretch options in the Nvidia Control Panel and swapped HDMI ports on the TV too, all to no effect.

The TV uses all the display for the Xbox still too, so I don't think it's the TV. Graphics card is an old but trusty GeForce 610GT .

Really has me puzzled, and a little annoyed! Any ideas would be more than welcome. Cheers.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Revert back to the card manuf. drivers...what happens ? ?

Newer drivers are not always better drivers.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

xpreshun

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi Patio. I don't have the original driver disc anymore, I think this driver is the only one available/compatible now as the graphics card and Windows 7 are getting pretty old.

But just to clarify - I'm running a whole new Windows 7 install from around 2 years ago, and it has been working fine with the same driver that I reinstalled tonight (I still had the download in my download folder!). I made no changes at all, the screen just changed itself in the blink of an eye.

Also I have Linux on a drive in this PC - I booted up Linux and it has the same screen size with the black edges as right now in Windows. I'm not very au fait with Linux but will also try changing the screen back from there tomorrow.   

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      What is the model number of the TV?
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      ... just running Football Manager ...
      Had you used this before?
      Which Linux did you try?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      What card ? ?

xpreshun

Topic Starter

Rookie

@BC_Programmer, TV is Samsung UE32F4000AW Worked fine with this exact set up and programs for almost 2 years. Is only at this screen resolution for the PC's HDMI connection - Xbox is full screen in all HDMI ports. Thanks.

@Geek-9pm, Yes mate, have used that game with this Windows and exact set-up for years. Not used it with Linux. To be honest I've not done much with Linux, just had a look and was thinking of learning the basics. Thanks.

@patio, see original post - Nvidia Geforce 610GT. Thanks again.

While using the TV as the PC monitor in it's now squared view, if I press the source choice on the Tv remote it brings the menu up using the TV's full screen - NOT only the PC's limited square view. And the PC does this square view in both Windows and Linux, and Windows and Linux both think it's 1366 x 768 - NOT square!

This leads me to think it may probably be something on the video card? But no settings were changed etc, it just happened. And uninstalling/reinstalling/restarting etc has no effect.

It's beat me.... 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        From what I can find some Graphics Cards straight-up don't support some resolutions directly and do unusual scaling.

Best I could find is to check Nvidia Control Panel => Adjust desktop size and position and then see what settings there are for "Scaling Settings" and what they are set to.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        Nvidia is not the card manuf...

xpreshun

Topic Starter

Rookie

@bc_programmer, yeah I tried all that already (sorry, I called it 'stretching' earlier) to no avail. When I try resizing the display, the width and height arrows are already at maximum, and scaling doesn't have any effect either no matter which option I choose.

Just cannot get my head around why it would suddenly change like this, totally unprompted, and it seems like I have no way to turn it back.

I'm gonna try it on another monitor/tv later and see what it does then.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          And, as you said before, the display resolution is being reported as 1366x768? There are a few very similar standard resolutions in that range such as 1360x768 as well as 1366x800 and 1360x800 as well so it is not entirely impossible you misread it.

The resolution ought to indicate "recommended" next to it as well, if the native resolution is being detected.