Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: More trouble!  (Read 1973 times)

Fenberry

More trouble!
« on: January 02, 2006, 03:51:45 PM »
I changed the boot.ini file to something I shouldn't have <changed the rdisk from (0) to (1) :(> and the whole computer won't start. Says it has a problem with the boot disk config as I am very much aware of :(...

Can anyone help me change the boot.ini file from dos? I have a win 98 cd I've been trying to boot-up from with cd support, but all of the info I've tried

Bootcfg /? doesn't work

c: <enter>
cd\ <enter>
attrib -r -a -s -h boot.ini <enter>
edit boot.ini <enter>   This doesn't work at all

I have tried everything this site has said about editing the boot.ini file, the only other option I have is to install win98 and and hope that it doesn't copy over my win xp windows files. I don't know what to do!
Help me please!!! SOS
<internet cafe atm> :(

Fenberry

Fenberry

Re: More trouble!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 04:04:14 PM »
Does the
BOOTINIEDIT Use to edit your boot.ini file on NTFS partitions.

Work in dos? Please help!

XP PRO Dual Boot
EN-FR 1000MHz 768MB
SDRAM

Bootdisks for all Windows Operating Systems
Reply #9 - 12/30/05 at 19:42:32  Quote   XP BOOTDISKS

HOME & PROFESSIONAL SETUP BOOTDISKS

MAINTENANCE BOOTDISKS

BOOTINIEDIT Use to edit your boot.ini file on NTFS partitions.
MEMTEST86 RAM memory tester which preferably needs to be run overnight.

WXPBOOTDISK WITH DELPART Use only if having problems installing XP or deleting NTFS partitions.

(To use DELPART type A:\>cd delpart [Enter] then A:\DELPART>delpart [Enter])

BOOT SEQUENCE REDIRECTOR

(Use instead of changing your BIOS settings manually. Put it into the A: drive and put your CD in the CD-ROM drive. This bootdisk does not make any changes to your BIOS.)

You should also make a floppy with - your - ntldr, ntdetect.com and your own boot.ini files on it.

If any of these files become corrupt you can use it to boot the computer to the hard drive.

Bootdisks should be write protected so that they cannot get a virus.

To make a bootdisk save the downloaded file to a hard-drive and double-click on it.

OTHER BOOTDISKS

GX1_Man

Re: More trouble!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 04:36:46 PM »
Win98 does not work on NTFS systems. If you try to reload Win98 you will have to do so by formatting the drive. You will surely loose everything then.

You can download XP bootdisks from www.bootdisk.com (I think it takes 6 of them) and from that you could probably get into recovery console or a command prompt you could use.

If this does not resolve it, do you have a legal XP CD to reinstall everything? If you need to save files from there first, there is a way to do that.