Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sleep mode  (Read 6767 times)

jimbetsie

sleep mode
« on: August 06, 2004, 06:58:36 AM »
I think and hope I'm in the right catagory.I was told that to use the sleep mode is better for mu PC and not real hard on the electric bill.If this is so can someone tell me exactly how to set up my sleep mode to operate right.I have been using it for the last week but I'm not sure if it is configured right.I have windows 98 SE,on a gateway computer with IE 6

Joleen

Re: sleep mode
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 07:09:41 AM »
Is there a reason you want to sleep instead of shutting down?

To check on the sleep mode try Start-ControlPanel-Power Settings then look for something like sleep mode or hibernate (I forget now).  Set it for something like a minute or 10 and just watch and see what happens.  If it works like you think it should then change the time period and you're golden.

I think hibernate takes place when you choose shut down unless there's a hibernate option on the shut down screen.

jimbetsie

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 07:50:58 AM »
First Thank You for your fast reply.Iwant to sleep or standby because I was told that it is less wear and tear on the computer and the electricity used is about that of a light bulb.His explanation sounded right. I have the sleep mode set up but I set it for the max 5 hours.I don't know what the time is for,to wait 5 hours to sleep,to sleep only for 5 hours or what.I do have a standby on my shut down menu but I have a sleep and wake up and power button on my keyboard

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 09:01:20 AM »
That 5 hour setting means the computer will wait for 5 hours with not activity before doing anything. You should know that on a desktop PC the standby/sleep/hibernate funtions are of dubious value. They were designed with laptops in mind to save on battery power. It is harder on the PC to be constantly entering a power saving mode and powering back up - particularly HD drives. A better solution is that if you will be away from the computer for a couple of hours, turn off the monitor and leave the computer running. If its over night, shut down everything. These simple steps will save more electricity and be gentler on your electronics.

Joleen

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 09:15:36 AM »
It's true that with older pcs it was harder on the hard drive to shut down alot but todays systems don't care.  I'd do just as 2k suggests and either turn off the monitor when the system is not in use or turn the system off completely if not in use for the night or longer.  I'll leave mine on for weeks at a time but turn off the monitor.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 09:41:45 AM »
I tend to turn off the entire computer when I donot use it. Overnight, if I am downloading, I only leave the computer on and shut everything else that is not needed down.

If you are truly looking into saving power you should look into an active PFC Power Supply Unit and perhaps a power saving monitor. (Energystar, I believe)