Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my computer wont start up  (Read 2201 times)

Daz

my computer wont start up
« on: January 07, 2006, 08:27:36 PM »
my computer wont start anymore. for a while it was starting up but couldn't run explorer, before that it wouldnt let me into the control panel. I haven't been using it for a while but my room mate was on it every night so I'm not sure what happened. It wont start using the start disc and it wont start in safe mode... at this point it tries to start up but after about a minute it just shuts itself off. I was wondering if there is a way to hook it up to another computer to run a virus check on it. Or if you have any other sugestions before I take it in and spend a whole whack of money.
Thanx guys

oh ya, I almost forgot. It's a p3 running win98
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 08:28:20 PM by Daz »

GX1_Man

Re: my computer wont start up
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 08:31:12 PM »
Has anyone been monkeying around inside the case? It could have all sorts of software issues or one hardware problem that's gotten worse. As this has gone on for a while it's hard to say. It's even harder because we know nothing about your system - make and model, CPU, RAM, operating system, any spyware/adware/virus protection, and specifics about the system.

Give us a few more clues. Does the roommate have any ideas? It may be time to head on down to the local shop, but let's see what you can tell us.

Daz

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 08:37:36 PM »
na no monkeying around inside the case, he doesn't know anything about them. he also has no idea what could have caused it but i know he downloads stuff and yes he wonders arounf the not so nice sites. He really isn't much help in the matter but I know he hasn't be into the case

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 08:54:57 PM »
Spyware/adware/viruses/trojans can cause all sorts of problems, and symptoms as you describe. Withpout proper maintenance and prevention, your computer will stop functioning normally. Fact. You may be able to  move that drive to another computer and scan it, but this may well be a hardware problem.  Heat, bad RAM, or a failing power supply can all cause these symptoms too. Do you get any beeping from the machine when attempting to turn on?

Off to the shop, I would say.

Daz

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 08:59:30 PM »
some beeping, nothing out of the ordinary, I can hear the hard drive start to spin, rams fine, no extra heat and I'm pretty sure it'm not the power supply (I've had that problem in the past and it was nothing like that). I'll see if my buddy can toss it into his computer to give it a scan and if not i guess it's off to the shop. Thanx for all your help. I know once my computer is up and running again my room mate isn't gettin near it again.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 09:06:29 PM »
And stop back by here for prevention tips and to let us know how it turned out.

Good Reading and downloads:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1135076888

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 09:07:23 PM »
And stop back by here for prevention tips and to let us know how it turned out.

Good Reading and downloads:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1135076888