Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no signal to the monitor  (Read 2741 times)

jackbarry

no signal to the monitor
« on: January 08, 2006, 09:18:02 AM »
I recently purchased a used IBM netvista mini tower ( It's actually quite large, 38 lbs.) It has no OS installed, ( it had Win 2000 removed). When i picked it up the guy pluged it into a monitor and a diognostic screen came up stating processor speed, ram, Vram, drive, etc specs. (933 mgz, 392m ram, 32 m Vr, 32 gig HD, etc.) When I hooked it up at home I get no signal to the monitor. I tried the 32 meg pci vram, pulled that and tried built in video out, different monitors, different HD, new cables, NO SIGNAL! I can't find a power switch either. The power supply fan comes on, and the CD player will spin with a CD in it. I know little about WinTell stuff, I'm a Mac head. I have a little Dell optiplex G100, I thought I would get a tower unit with more speed & build it up. I also thought I could Just pop in my Old HD, like I have done with my Macs, but I guess that doesn't fly with WinTell. That's all I can think of, Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks, Jack. :-? PS Are there any key combinations used during start up that might bring up a signal? Or inexpensive software to fix?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 09:21:54 AM by jackbarry »

GX1_Man

Re: no signal to the monitor
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 09:25:09 AM »
A fresh install is always best with Windows. Some people get it to work with tweaking, but there are a lot of issues. Do you have a Windows CD to use? You could boot with a Linux Live CD to test functionality, but I'll bet it is just a simple configuration error with what you've described (especially the part about re-using a Windows installation). You have the basis for a very usable system.

Is that one of those miniature GX100's you have? Not very configurable, but they are durable!

jackbarry

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 06:27:56 PM »
Yes it's a small gx100, 595 celuron, 512 meg, 10 gig. xp....great for the web & rock solid stable I don't have a OS cd, I am afraid to buy one and have the thing still not work. I suppose I could go linux, it's cheap right? Thanx, GX1_Man, Jack.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 07:01:07 PM »
Try a Linux Live CD. Free to give it a go to see if it is compatible and get a test drive (although it will be slow due to running from the CD ROM). If all goes well you can download a version for installation.

Most linux downloads are free, as are all the applications. Well worth your while. Give me a post back if interested for further assistance.

jackbarry

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 05:27:56 PM »
Thanks for the help again GX I'll let you know how/if Linux goes.