Other > Reviews and recommendations

Wireless laptop conections

(1/5) > >>

jbubb:
I'm in the market for a laptop and the one I like performance wise and other things (8GB ram, DVD writer) only has B, G, and N on the wireless connections. Except for the OS, I have that on my old laptop but it won't connect in most motels/hotels. Another one I like has all connections, a, b, c, g, and n but doesn't have but 4gb ram and no DVD writer. Both are HP. Am I overthinking this? I'm going cheap because I'm not wanting anything but watching sports/youtube and general surfing. One with 4 GB ram and no DVD writer is $311. The high performance one is $361. I thought having a DVD writer and 4 more gigs of ram was worth 40 bucks but the b,g.n made me wonder. I can't upgrade the one with 4 GB of ram. BTW, the high performance has an AMD A6 at 2.6 GH and the cheaper one has an AMD Ryzen 3 at 2.5 GH.

Geek-9pm:
You said "...only has B, G, and N on the wireless connections. "'
That is not important. Why do you think you need more?
The 802.11 n is very good and will continue to be used for a long time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

jbubb:
Thanks, Geek-9pm, I just wasn't sure. So is it the OS that determines connectivity?

Geek-9pm:
No, the 802.11? protocol is in the hardware.

jbubb:
OK, I have this old 95 Toshiba XP laptop that has a built-in slot for wireless connection card and also have a Netgear USB plugin and neither will connect to today's technology. My wife has a somewhat newer Compaq laptop and her's won't either. Why? Do I/we need new adapters? It's late here and I don't feel like checking things now. I was messing with it and realized it's been a long, long time since I had messed around with things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version