Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Have external hard drive but not being recognised  (Read 2347 times)

howard248

Have external hard drive but not being recognised
« on: January 17, 2006, 01:18:26 PM »
Please can anyone help me? I have an external hard drive but when i plug it into my computer through the usb port it is connecting but it does not come up in my computer and i cannot access it. When looking at the properties for the hard drive it says it is at location: 0. does anyone have any idea how to initialize the hard drive and get it working on my computer??
thanks

GX1_Man

Re: Have external hard drive but not being recogni
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 02:28:45 PM »
Has it been formatted? That is required to be seen in Windows. Right click and choose format FAT32 or NTFS, whichever file system you are using on your main drive.

howard248

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 02:56:25 PM »
i cannot even get to it to format it. there is no icon coming up in my computer for me to click on. it's like the drive isn't being recognised even though it's installed

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 04:20:55 PM »
How about some details about the computer, operating system, hard drive make/model, etc.

howard248

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 04:43:22 PM »
thanks, but problem sloved
thank you for you help

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 04:14:20 PM »
We are keen to hear how the problem was solved.  :D

howard248

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 04:42:28 PM »
 had to go to my computer, right click, and click on manage. then the drive tab. In here i found that the disk had not been initialised. i then right clicked and initialised the disk, partitioning it and formatting the drive. Turns out that as this was a new hard drive therefore this had to be done. although, when buying an external hard drive this has normally already been done for you. was an easy thing to do so problem solved!

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 05:03:51 PM »
Glad you are up and running!  ;)